Demise

Chapter 21

Melissa’s POV

The drive down to my house with Travis happened within a split second, or maybe it was longer, I didn’t notice. I wished my life could just be a drive in my car, with my hand wrapped around Travis’s and my head rested on the window glass. We drove in silence but it was a pleasant one. I knew he had a lot on his mind so I didn’t utter a word and besides it was kind of nice, the whole protective thing going on. I giggled thinking about how I would have laughed at myself two months ago if I ever imagine me being like this.

Travis stopped at the gate of the mansion and the security camera flashed over my face before it opened. Glenna opened the door before we even rang the door bell, and then pulled me in for a hug. Seriously what was up with her?

“Mel, I’ve got great news,” she said grinning. She regained her composure and cleared her throat when she realized Travis was with me.

“Sorry, he drove me home,” I told her. Not that she cared to know, she didn’t like Travis because he wasn’t rich and all.

“Oh that was so nice of him, thank you-”

“Travis,” he completed, reminding her of his name.

“Travis, would you like to join us for dinner?” what?! What’s with the invite, I hope this isn’t part of her evil plot.

“Naa thanks Miss Joan but I have to take care of something at home,” Travis answered putting his hands in his black jeans.

“Oh stop with the formality, call me Glenna,” she said smiling softly at him. Travis sent me a quizzical look and I shrugged sending him an ‘I have no idea’.

“Um sure, bye Glenna,” he bid her goodnight.

“I will just see him off,” I muttered as I followed Travis out.

“That was beyond weird,” I said as soon as we were out of the house.

“Yeah tell me about it, what’s with the new cheery character.”

“Dunno, I think the old witch finally took a step down. This morning she was all about all the mistakes she’s made, she even went to see Haley.”

Travis nodded. “Wow that means you get a break from all the drama.”

“I definitely hope so,” I pulled a face and he chuckled, then he grew serious. “Are you okay? Like after today and everything?”

“Yeah sure.” My face turned impassive.

“Really,” he iterated.

“Really I’m good. At first I thought I was going to breakdown or whatever I do when I vexed up but after being with you I’m really okay.” I said, telling him more than I wanted to.

He beamed, his eyes shone so bright it was infectious. “I’m glad, so well I guess I can leave without worrying.”

“You worry about me?” I asked really surprised.

He rolled his eyes. “What do you think?”

When my expression didn’t alter he spoke like he was speaking to a child. “Yes I worry about you.” I grinned. A beeping sound rung and he checked the screen of his phone but didn’t bother to take the call.

“Don’t you think you should take that?” I asked.

“Naa, I ah…I’ve got to go,” he said. “And you should be getting inside anyway; you’re going to catch a cold.” My arms were getting goose bumps but neither of us moved an inch. I didn’t want him to leave and I think, he didn’t want to leave too.