Monster Locked Inside

Not really sure about this chapter but hope you enjoy it :D

I ran up the stairs of the massive mansion and locked my bedroom door immediately after me. Leaning against the door, I heard Glenna; my adopted mother asking after me.

"Mel, what's wrong." she asked, her voice laced with worry.

I sighed, she always had to know what was going on. "Nothing," I stated.

"Well it's not nothing when you just run off like that!" she shrieked, her voice growing higher and higher with every word.

"Glenna, seriously, I'm fine. I'm sorry I left like that. I will be done in a moment," I told her soothingly.

Glenna wasn't exactly the right person to have an argument with; all it would end up in would be her yelling her head off and I just wanting to calm my nerves down. So I decide not to go into one with her

I sighed in relief when I heard the retreating footsteps, then rushed to the mirror. I sighed again when I saw my horrible reflection. I ran my fingers over the now scalded almost green face. My eyes were now a piercing grey with thin lines of bright white highlight running through them, and my hair had turned grey almost white from the usual blond hair that flowed pass my shoulders.

I knew this was going to happen; especially when Glenna and I were in a heated argument over how she shouldn't take Haley to the disabled institution. I tried to calm down but to no avail; so I bolted to my room.

Haley was my adopted sister. We understood each other very well and even though she could only talk like a baby, spat out food, was in a wheelchair and couldn’t go out like normal sisters do, I loved her very much. She was the one person I cared about apart from my mother.

She had grown on me through the nine months that I had stayed in this house, and was the one person that knew the real me. She wasn't afraid or irritated by me either, which made it easier for me to open up to her more.

Haley was already twenty and her condition wasn’t getting any better. Glenna couldn't deal with the stress of taking care of her anymore; so she decided she'd be taken to some institution for retarded people. This was the cause for our fierce argument. When she told me, I got angry and started feeling the familiar tingles that overtook my body whenever it changes it mood.

I was still feeling furious. What kind of mother was she anyway? She already wanted to substitute me for her own daughter! That was the main reason she adopted me, because she couldn't give birth anymore and I'm guessing she needed someone she could use as her personal Barbie doll.

The Braxton's were extremely rich and there was nothing Glenna liked more than to dress me up with expensive clothes and to buy me fancy cars. She picked out outfits for me to wear everyday making sure I looked more than picture perfect. If only she knew what I hid from her; she wouldn't hesitate for one second before she would throw me out or maybe even doing something worse.

I counted to ten slowly, taking deep breaths in and out. Thoughts of the happy moments of my mother and I when she was alive swirled through my memory; as they were the only things able to keep me calm.

Quickly taking a hot steamy shower, I put on the purple top and short skirt Glenna picked out for me. I checked my appearance in the mirror thanking God it was back to normal. I decided to define my eyes with black eye liner, mascara then a nude gloss for my lips.

Running at full speed downstairs, I checked my watch. It was five after seven, my best friend Chelsea was going to freak out if I was late to pick her up.

Speed walking into the kitchen where Haley was sat in her wheelchair, I couldn't help the grin that took over my face when I heard her overexcited muffled scream. She was throwing her hands out and I already knew she wanted me to hug her. I did as she wanted, squeezing her fragile body tight.