Exposed

Chapter 13

Travis POV

I leaned against the wall inside the gang’s warehouse. I’m spent and I knew it but that was what I wanted in the first place.

“Man, you look like you’ve been punched in the face. Stop looking so depressed and drink some beer,” Carlos chuckled. I told him everything that happened and all he did was shake his head at me and lecture me about not getting involved with the rich girls. As if he was one to talk. Okay so Chelsea Vega wasn’t rich and stuff but she still mingled and acted like them.

I puffed out a large mass of smoke from one of the countless cigarettes I had taken. “Jeez, go slow on that,” Pete, one of the guys said to me.

I glared at him challenging him silently. Nobody wanted to mess with me right now, my body was itching for a fight… or something else.

“Just kidding man,” he said.

I had always said that I would protect my family no matter what. When Hector left my mother I had the urge to do so even more. I was just twelve but that didn’t matter, where I was from you had to take those types of responsibilities unless you wanted be killed, unfortunately it was Karla that was. I remember covering my mouth with my hands as hot tears ran down my face. I couldn’t move, I just stood still afraid they would find me as they found my sister. I was such a coward; I didn’t even attempt to save her…

My memory of today was clear, though. Being stood up by Melissa, her mother scowling at me . . . things I wanted to forget were stuck in my brain like glue.

Shaking my head, I looked over to where Shauna was making out with a guy.

“Shauna really fucked you up you know,” Carlos said to me when there was no one else around us.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re in denial man, you don’t trust girls anymore.”

“Like you trusted Vega?” I asked him pushing his buttons.

“That’s off the point, I’m not here to talk about myself and I’m not the one looking busted over here.”

“So what’s your point?”

“Look, I know Shauna stabbed you in the back but you’re making a complete ass of yourself. You are trying to convince yourself that all you want with Melissa is the bet.”

“It is.”

He laughed out loud. I think you’re starting to believe the shit that comes out of your mouth. You like her and the least you can do is to admit it.”

I think I only heard half of what Carlos said to me being that I spent the next half hour ingesting liquor into my system.