Chapter Twenty: The Aftermath

{ CHAPTER MUSIC SELECTION: You Are In Love by Taylor Swift }

You'd eventually fallen asleep, snuggled against Matthew within the sheets. The whole sex thing had completely wiped you out, and sleep came to you very easily.

In the dead of night, you snap awake, feeling fingers rubbing through your hair softly. Gently, you roll over and face Matthew, smiling sleepily.

"Did I wake you up? I'm sorry, I - " Matthew murmurs, his voice barely above a whisper. "You're just very beautiful when you sleep."

"Have you slept at all?" you ask him softly, rubbing softly at the dark circles under his eyes.

"I had too much going through my mind. I've been wide awake," he replies with a smile.

"Good things?" you grin at him.

"Very good things," he chuckles. "You can go back to sleep. I like watching you."

"I'll stay awake with you," you murmur to him. "All night, if that's what you want."

Matthew smiles a little more, twisting your hair around his fingers. "I guess I can't say no to that...you're even more beautiful when you're awake."

You blush and stare in his eyes. "What have you been thinking about?"

"You," he whispers back softly.

"What about me?" you reply, touching over his lips. He kisses each of your fingers before answering.

"Everything. Everything about you," he says, sighing softly. "We just did this amazing thing, and I just can't stop thinking about it, I can't - "

You nuzzle up against him. "You act like it's the last time it'll ever happen."

"I didn't mess up to the point of you never wanting to see me again?" Matthew asks shyly. "I was so convinced I'd mess up."

"Did it sound like you messed up?" you ask him warily. "Matthew, that was the best hour of my entire life. You could never mess up. Not with me."

Relief spreads across his face, and he leans in to kiss your forehead. "I don't know how I got so lucky to meet someone like you."

"Tell me everything you're thinking," you continue, "because I know there's a lot more going through your head than just that."

Matthew searches your face for a moment, looking nervous. "I can't stop thinking about it. I - I kind of feel like a - a typical guy, but I really want to do - "

"Again?" you grin up at him.

"Yeah..." he replies sounding uneasy. "But I - I don't want you to think it's just because I want the sex, I - "

"Matthew," you laugh, holding your index finger up to his lips. "Don't apologize. I know you're in this for more than sex."

"I'm in this for you," he murmurs, his voice so full of love for you that you shiver. "I'm so in love with you."

You blink back a small tear from your eyes, pulling his face down to yours and kissing him with a raw passion. Getting a glimpse of the clock, you see it's almost 3:30AM.

"I love you so much," Matthew whispers softly. "I always want you to remember that."

"I know you do," you murmur. "And I love you."

"You don't think I'm gross?" he asks softly.

You look up at him and just laugh. "You're crazy, Matthew."

He smiles shyly again, stroking across your lips. "You're an angel, you know that?"

"For more reasons than just sex, right?" you wink.

"Of course!" Matthew says, suddenly serious. "That's just an added plus."

"C'mere, you," you smirk, pulling him on top of you and slamming your lips to his.

"I'm gonna spend the rest of my life with you," Matthew whispers. "I just know it."

{TO BE CONTINUED WHEN IT'S NOT 1:30AM... <3}