You've Got Mail

Regina walked home from her yoga class feeling so refreshed. It had been too long since the last time she focused her energy that way and it was revitalizing. She took in the cool spring air, admiring the sounds of the birds in Central Park and the way the setting sun was shining against the leaves of the trees. She liked living near the park for this very reason; it was a glimpse of nature in the overwhelming concrete jungle that is New York City.

"So what ended up happening with Happily Ever After? Did August cave and decide to stay with Fairytale Playhouse?" The woman walking beside her asked, holding her yoga mat close to her side.

Mallory Bolla was a tall, intimidating woman with blonde hair and the fiercest blue eyes Regina had ever seen. She was a divorce attorney at the same law firm, perfect for that specific area of the practice. Her hair was loosely pinned back, her naturally tight curls creating a beautiful texture that most women would die to have. Her jaw always appeared to be clenched, lips pursed tightly together, only making her habitual sharp gaze all the more fearsome. Some of their coworkers often referred to her as "The Dragon Lady" because of her demeanor and overall inability to lose a case.

But for those who knew Mal, she was a wonderful person and one of Regina's closest friends. Also a single mother of a college undergraduate named Lily, the women bonded over the struggles of having to raise their children on their own. They understood one another on a level much deeper than what might appear to others on the surface.

"He did, as it turns out. I negotiated the final details of his contract with them just yesterday. I have to finalize the paperwork on Monday and then it'll all be over," Regina sighed with relief. Just discussing the process of dealing with this case was enough to knock her zen out of balance.

"Or so you hope," Mal said with a chuckle, knowing how unjustifiably difficult August was being. "But I'm glad he finally got some sense knocked into him and decided to listen to you for a change."

"I've only been doing this for 15 years. It's not like I know what I'm talking about or anything," the brunette said in a sarcastic tone, the blonde rolling her eyes with a smirk. "So how's Lily doing?"

"Oh she's just wonderful; adjusting to college life much better than I expected. I can tell she's stressed now with finals coming up. What about Henry? I haven't seen much of him around the office lately."

Henry used to meet Regina at the law firm after school. He'd get a jumpstart on his homework while she finished up for the day and they would either go home together or stop for a bite to eat on their way. Since he started dating Grace, he spends a lot of his time with her and who could blame him? Plus he's in high school. He's perfectly capable of going straight home if he wants to so Regina never tells him otherwise.

"He's loving high school from what I can tell. He has his first girlfriend, which is heartbreaking for me, but exciting for him," she chuckled before continuing, "He started advertising around the apartment building to do little jobs for the tenants. He wants extra money to spoil this girlfriend of his. It's sweet. His first job was today, actually, helping a new tenant move in and unpack."

"Look at Mr. Independent go," Mallory nodded, impressed by what she was hearing. "I wonder where he gets that from."

She playfully nudged the brunette who shrugged in response. They turned onto 81st Street and Regina pulled her keys out of her gym bag.

"Tell Henry to give me a call. I can put him to work dogsitting when I leave to pick up Lily from school in a few weeks."

"Oh that would be great. I'll let him know. Thanks, Mal," she leaned forward and the women pressed their cheeks together making a kissing noise. "Wish Lily good luck on her finals. I'll see you Monday."