Twilight Zone

Robin was on the elevator on his way back from Any Given Sundae. He'd run into David and Mary Margaret playing with the twins in the lobby. They begged Roland to stay with them so he allowed it, telling his son he had to be home for his shower and bedtime by nine o'clock.

He held a container of vanilla frozen yogurt in his hands for Regina, a special surprise to show his appreciation for everything she did for him that day. And everyday. He couldn't wait to walk in the door and take her in his arms. Without any interruptions this time.

He approached the door to the apartment and turned the key, but found that it was unlocked. He swore he locked up when he left, but perhaps she ran to her place for something during his absence. He turned the knob and opened the door as he said, "You are going to love me when you see--"

He stopped dead in his tracks. He suddenly felt dizzy, his heart pounding so fast he thought it was moving upward into his throat. He was so stunned, he failed to realize he'd dropped the yogurt and it oozed from the plastic all over the hardwood floor.

"Marian," he said aloud, just to be sure he was actually seeing her. His ex-wife was seated at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee. Regina was standing against the kitchen sink staring at the woman, her arms crossed and a glass of wine in one of her hands. She had yet to look in his direction and it was clear to him that she didn't trust Marian.

"How--" he shook his head in disbelief. "You were supposed to--"

"I know. I was as shocked as you are. I got a plea bargain: early release with probation if I give them a list of names of the higher ups," she said, that fake innocence she always used to deceive him during their marriage plastered all over her face.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see my son," she stated and stood from her chair. She started to approach him, but Regina took a warning step toward her. She noticed and chuckled, "I made and sold pharmaceutical painkillers. I never hurt anyone. You can tell your guard dog to stand down."

"I think it's best you leave, Marian," he said, aggravated by her rudeness and just her mere presence in his life. He thought he had another 20 years, at least, without having to face her. Nothing could have prepared him for this.

"Not without Roland," she replied.

Robin laughed, it was loud with a tone of obvious mockery, "Well, that's never going to happen. You lost all custodial rights when you chose pills over him; over your family. So face the consequences because as far as I'm concerned, you'll never set eyes on him."

"He's my son as much as he is yours, Robin," she said, frustration beginning to grow in her voice. "And I'm prepared to fight to be in his life."

"Do your best. You may be his mother biologically, but that's all you've contributed to his life thus far and all you ever will. He is my son. I have raised him," he gritted his teeth, his hand clenched in a tight fist.

"I don't think this is a conversation we should be having in the company of others," Marian said, glaring at the brunette standing to the side prepared to jump at the first chance to tear the other woman to shreds.

"Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of Regina."

"No," Regina said, realizing there was something better she could be doing to help the situation. She walked by the exotic-looking woman invading their world to place her empty glass on the table and stopped in front of Robin. "I'll be in the bedroom if you need me."