Chapter Four

Edited: 29th August 2014

Song: Prayers For The Refugee by Rise Against

Three weeks. I’ve been in the studio working and recording songs for three weeks. I’ve grown to love it as my second home. Ed has been getting awfully friendly with me. I’ve been teaching him some sign language. Let’s just say he is shit at it but I don’t tell him.

Along my journey in here, I have met a few celebrities like Emeli Sande and The Script. They are all really cool and I wrote a song with Emeli and I wrote a song together. It’s called All I Am Now.

I recorded that song earlier with Emeli. She wrote down what I was going to singing and what key it was meant to be in. Now I am sitting with my guitar making up a new song, it’s just random, but I love writing songs. Even if I don’t know how they sound, I can always get Ed to sort it out. I owe him. For everything he has done for me. He got me my recording contract.

To be honest, it’s all happened too fast for me. Simon wants me to get an album sorted out then he’s going to advertise it on TV (to get it some fame), after I’ve got to go and do interviews and stuff. Simon knows about my situation for being deaf so he told me I could take Mya along with me for help.

I’m still missing you, it was my all my fault, please come back, take me instead,’ I wrote a few random lyrics down. They kind of reflect on what happened that day. It was my fault. I miss my family dearly. I just want them back. The man should’ve taken my life instead of theirs. But at least I’m paying for my mistakes now.

I strum the chords on the guitar. I use the different chords from Ed’s song Lego House and Jason Mraz’s song I’m yours. I was looking online for some good acoustic songs to play and I found that these songs are quite popular and if I mix them together, I might have a hit single.

I only wish that I could hear how everything sounds. I don’t even know if I’m playing the chords in the right pitch!

Third person point of view

Lucy strummed away at the guitar Ed gave her, not noticing the five boys standing behind her. Each boy stood there in shock at the deaf girls’ voice. It was so powerful and meaning full. It’s like it had a purpose. But they didn’t care about that. This was their room today, not hers.

“Oi! What you doing? Get out!” one of the boys yelled. However, Lucy couldn’t hear anything, therefore she carried on singing. She didn’t even know of their existence until one of them hit her shoulder.

Lucy turned around to face them with a confused look. She got nervous, unsure of what to do. “Didn’t you hear him?! Get the fuck out you deaf wanker!” A different boy yelled in her face. Lucy grew more and more scared by the second as each of the boys yelled in her face. What hurt Lucy was the fact that she couldn’t hear the insults they yelled at her. She kept still.

“Get out you freak! Stop staring at us!” A tanned boy exclaimed. Upset, Lucy picked up her guitar and ran out the room, with tears spilling down her pale face. Lucy ran right into someone, but she didn’t care who. She moved out of the way for the stranger, scared that he was going to yell at her for something she didn’t know as well.

She found the girl’s loo and sat down in an empty cubical. The guitar lay beside her. Lucy’s trembling hands touched her ears self-consciously.  She fell onto the floor, pulling her knees up against her chest and sobbed.

I don’t belong in this world, Lucy thought. I’m an alien compared to everybody else. That’s how Lucy felt, like an alien. Aliens don’t belong in this world, so if she thought that then she thought she didn’t belong either.