Chapter Thirty Nine

Edited ^_^

Song: The Taste of Ink by The Used

Lucy's POV

We started down the streets. Passing various people dressed up for the clubs. You could feel the beat of the music on your feet as you passed each club. The smell of alcohol made me want to gag and the vibrating laughs of young adults hurt my ears. "We need to find a more clearer root!" Harry yells next to me, sounding like he was whispering to me. 

"I know! Come on, lets go left!" I yell back to him and we take a turning down another street with a few houses and cars parked to the sides on the pavement. About 3 street lamps lit it up and the further I looked down the road, the less I felt safe. Oh well. Its better than getting caught by Julia again.

I look to Lily and see she's still sound asleep after all of that. How are children such heavy sleepers?! Less complaining more escaping.

We jogged to the middle of the street and the music faded out of my hearing and all that I could hear now was Harrys' and I's laboured breathing. "W-where are we?" My voice shook in the cold winds of the night. 

"No idea. Just keep walking and lets find town. Once we're there we can get directions or call a cab." He explains and I nod, too cold to open my mouth again.

Our walk must have carried on for about 20 minutes before we were interrupted. "Mummy..." a small voice hollered from beside me. I look to Harry's arms and see Lily fidgeting slightly. "Please... don't m-mummy!" Lily thrashed violently in his arms with her eyes still closed shut tightly. 

Harry struggled to stop her from falling onto the floor. "Lucy! Help me! She won't stay still!" Harry exclaimed and tried to pull the small girl into his chest. I drop the bag onto the floor and step in front of Harry. Lily rolls into my open arms and I start singing quietly to her.

" Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird. And if that mockingbird won't sing, Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring. And if that diamond ring turns brass, Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass. And if that looking glass gets broke, Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat." I start and Harry joins in half way through. I look up to him and gave him a small smile as Lily stopped thrashing about and settled down in my arms. 

"Well done." Harry whispers and winks at me. I wink back.

"Get the bag for me?" I ask quietly and he nods. Lily isn't that heavy in all honesty. She's too light for a five-year-old. That needs to change. Harry is back at my side and we're walking off down the street before I know it. 

We take a right turn away from the street as it ends and meet a park. We take a slow jog to the gates of a field and push through it. Next to the field is a playground for teens as it has larger swings and a giant slide. 

In the park is also a group of people wearing baggy jeans and hoodies. Their conversations were too loud and their voices slurred through the wind. "Ignore them, babe." Harry whispered comfortingly to me as the men started calling to us and wolf whistling at me. Fucking disgusting. 

"I am more than ready to hit the living daylights out of them if they carry on." My voice strained and I tightened my grip on Lily's blanket. One of them got up and made their way over to us. 

"Heey b-babe." He stumbled to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. I shook it off and carried on walking as if I hadn't noticed him. I tensed under his grip as he pulled me back, making me almost drop Lily. "I'm ... t-talking to you b-bitch!" He yelled and spat on my face. 

"Hey dude! What's your fucking problem?!" Harry yelled at the man and he let go of my shoulder to step back and look at Harry. His eyes were menacing as he examined Harry. His face full of disgust.