Chapter 9: Where are We?

We flew for what seemed like hours. The sun was setting in shades of oranges, pinks, and purples. It was very beautiful. Soon the moon and stars would be out. I couldn’t wait to cast my shadow on the moon. It was one of things I have always wanted to do since I grew wings.

“Hey I have a question,” SkyBird said to both Connor and I. We both looked at her.

“What is it?” Connor asked. We hadn’t talked much since we escaped. It wasn’t an awkward silence though. It was more of a peaceful silence.

“Where are we?” SkyBird asked. I thought for a moment and come to think of it I didn’t have an answer for once. Were we even in the U.S.A. anymore? We were in some foreign country?

“I don’t know. Do you know Connor?” I asked. I thought that he might know since he’s been in the facility longer than SkyBird and I have.

Connor thought then finally answered, “Sorry I’m clueless on our whereabouts.” I frowned and sighed. We were now lost in some state or country we didn’t know. I at least hoped we were still in the United States, cause if we weren’t then I would be one pissed teenager. Not to mention that we would all be in serious trouble. You see Connor, SkyBird, and I all live in the United States. I’m pretty sure the United States wouldn’t kill or harm winged children. Now I’m not so sure about how other countries would react to three winged children roaming around in their country.

“Why don’t we find some city area and ask some people?” I suggested to my both confused friends.

“Sounds like a plan Sam!” Connor replied with a humorous tone to match a goofy face.

“It’s Hero,” I replied with a laugh. SkyBird was laughing too. It was a pretty cheesy joke, but any jokes to lighten up the mood is funny after you escape a life, death situation. Especially when after you escape with the fate of humanity and the world as we know on your shoulders.

We landed in a woody area that was only 2.5 miles away from a city. Not too far to walk to. We all folded our wings in and pretended to be normal teenagers. Hopefully no one would realize our secret.

We snuck into a store and tried clothes on. Honestly what would you think if you saw three people in hospital outfits? I know that I would be concerned, but seriously I know that a lot of people would laugh, make jokes about it, whisper to one another, spread gossip, and all that teenage stuff.

SkyBird was dressed in a sweet preppy dress that was light blue with white ribbons. Connor was dressed in a formal suit including the tie and top hat. I ended up in a button up shirt and a tight black skirt.

“I think this is a bit too preppy,” I said as we all looked at each other. We all ran into our dressing rooms to change. This time SkyBird came out in a vampire costume. Connor was dressed as a chef. I was dressed as a cowgirl.

“Too weird,” SkyBird said as we backed into our dressing rooms for the third time. SkyBird was in a simple white dress, and white sandals. Connor was in blue jeans, a white t-shirt with a design, sneakers, and a dark red sweatshirt. I was in blue shorts with black spandex, a black tank top with a turtle neck, black sneakers, a grey sweatshirt, and black fingerless gloves.

“I think we look...PERFECT!” Connor shouted out as he posed in the mirror. SkyBird laughed as I rolled my eyes. I ended up walking out with SkyBird by my side while dragging Connor by the hood of his sweatshirt. I walked over to a woman and a man who were sitting on a bench feeding squirrels.

“Excuse me but do you know what country and state we are in?” I asked as politely as I could.

“You’re in America. Specifically Washington D.C.” the man answered as the woman smiled gently at us. I nodded and smiled as we walked away. Well at least we were still in the United States. Plus we were in the capitol, which gave me a great idea. Why fight this ourselves when we can tell the president?

“What are you thinking of Hero?” SkyBird asked.

“A plan. Come on let’s take off,” I said as I ran then threw myself into the air. SkyBird and Connor followed. We flew high in the sky. A flock of eagles soared below us. We all smiled as we swooped down next to them. I did twirls and flips in the air. God it was such an amazing feeling. SkyBird was chatting in bird with the eagles. Connor was trying new tricks he made up. Finally we had a flock. A family. A feeling of belonging. If only everyone could feel this feeling. But then again the humans would ruin the sky like they did to the ground and the sea if they could fly. I guess the sky should be kept to the avians. To the non-humans. To us. We will guard the sky. We will be the world’s guardian angels. No. Warriors from heaven. Yeah. That sounds much better, and cooler.

I saw the White House in the distance. Our goal was in sight. I dipped my left wing as we reached the White House. SkyBird and Connor followed in suit. We circled the White House a few times, before we landed a few miles away.

Connor, SkyBird, and I rushed towards the White House. We didn’t know whether these people were going to get the president on their side, or try to ambush the White House to gain power over the whole United States. Either way we all knew time was still ticking. It was getting closer to the twelve day by day. It was a race against time, and against all odds. But we had to win. We just had to. I mean the good guys always win. Right?