Chapter 25

How Unexpected

        Echo woke up.

        She woke up with fright and confusion frantically running through her thoughts, uncontrollably making her exhale with great breaths in between. Her breathing slowed once she realized it was just a dream ... but she still wasn't too sure. She closed her eyes softly and rested the palm of her hand to her forehead, her jolt of fear drifting away with little ease.

        Immediately once she gained her common sense, she ripped the blankets off of her and paused before standing quickly, racing to the door and wrenching it open to find an out-pour of sunlight from the other various rooms that surrounded the hallway. She wasn't in her apartment; she was in the boarding house, the Salvatore house.

        That explains what could've happened after the kiss.

        She made her way down the narrow hallway and walking down the stairs to see the T.V. on in the living room, Call of Duty being played, the gunshots causing Echo to jump every time she heard them. Unexpectedly, Jeremy, yes, the Jeremy Gilbert, Elena's brother was playing, the headset and microphone latched onto his head as his concentration never left the screen.

        "Jeremy?" Echo asked, squinting her eyes and cocking her head to the side.

         "Damon's in the kitchen. He was playing with me, but he had to get some snacks." That was the first thing he said, rather quickly at that.

Why would Jeremy jump so rapidly to the conclusion that Echo wanted Damon? She couldn't have kissed him; she wouldn't let it happen again. Even if she was mad at him, she'd feel guilt because of having to break Klaus' heart again with him either finding out or her having to tell him. Echo shook her head and forgot about it.

        She was determined that it didn't happen.

        She shuffled to the kitchen, a bit offended that Jeremy didn't even take the time to say hi to her. As she entered, there is the man of the hour, Damon Salvatore, at the counter texting on his phone, a towel draped over his shoulder.

        "Hey." Echo breathed, the sight of him making her gulp in anxiousness.

        "Dearest Echo," He started to playfully greet, his eyes never trailing off from his phone, "And to whom do I owe the pleasure?"

        "Actually, Damon," She wasted no time, "I need to ask you a question."

        "Yes, I did happen to stumble across a wonderfully confused girl this morning. She's actually talking to me right now, standing in front of me." He joked, still entranced in his phone, his bright blue eyes glued to the screen.

He smiled widely, that big smile she always seemed to love. Uncontrollably, she cracked a grin, but then it quickly faded.

        "I'm being serious, Damon."

His eyes immediately jetted from his phone to join her chocolate brown eyes and his smile disappeared in a matter of seconds. She bit her lip nervously and tried to look away, running her fingers through her ponytail that rested over her shoulder.

        He turned off his phone and tossed it on the counter as she scooted in front of him, saying, "Alright, what did I do this time?"

        She rolled her eyes as he crossed his arms, trying not to chuckle at her reaction.

        "You didn't do anything wrong ... I just have to ask you ..." She bit her lip so hard that she thought she'd tear it off, "Did we kiss?" She whispered the last part so Jeremy couldn't overhear.

Damon's eyes widened in astonishment. That's not what he was expecting at all, not a question like that. He was expecting being asked a question about Elena's sacrifice or why he was so incredibly irresistible to her, but not asking if they kissed.

        He waited a while, just to tease her anxiousness, "Well," He started, "We did a little more than just kiss."