Chapter 11

"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks ..."

The radio blared in Elena and Echo's ear drums as they cruised down the highway. It was a hectic day up until 9:35 that night. Especially for Echo. Ever since Damon had saved her yesterday evening, things had been changing unlike anything that she could've ever imagined. She finally figured out why Klaus wanted Elena so badly. And when she found out it hurt. It stung. She felt like she had just been slapped with betrayal.

Not only did he want to kill her, but he wanted to kill her cousin, too. The worst part was, she had an uncontrollable feeling of love for Klaus so that hurt even more. She knew she could never be with him. It would make everyone go insane. It would make her go insane.

        That stung.

The car ride was silent for the moment, only the sound of the radio and Fall breeze of the night were heard. The silence was peaceful and nice, but Echo didn't want Elena to feel awkward with her not talking. After all, she was scared of someone killing her, too. Plus, they hadn't made up and now she felt silly about the whole thing.

        "I'm sorry about what I said." She started, keeping her eyes on the road.

Elena looked up from her phone and stared at her, stunned by her sentence. Considering she didn't say anything back, Echo continued.

        "I didn't mean it. I was just upset with you and I don't hate you. I couldn't do that if I tried." She chuckled.

Elena just sat there, her phone slowly slipping from her hand, forgotten. Her mouth was slightly dropped open and she stared at her wide-eyed for what seemed like an eternity. Echo had never shown her feelings or apologized to anyone before. It had always just been the other person's fault. Heck, even if it wasn't the other person's fault, Echo still wouldn't have to apologize for it. So seeing that she is apologizing for something now was new to Elena and she had no idea how to react.

Echo quickly looked to her, raising an eyebrow and still clenching the steering wheel, getting impatient.

        "Hello? You catch enough flies, Elena?"

Elena just smiled open-mouthed and laughed breathlessly.

        "I-it's ok." She scratched behind her ear. "I shouldn't have been so controlling. After all, I did drag you over here."

Echo looked back to the road, grinning.

        "Now that's something I like to hear."

They both laughed. And, no, Echo didn't bring up how she still loved Klaus even if he's planning to do horrible things. Everything was good at that moment. She didn't want anything to ruin it at all.

Too bad something did ...

        "Echo, watch out!" Elena screamed as she saw a man, standing in the middle of the road.

Right then, the memories came back all at once. Like a movie on fast-forward where you only see the tiny bits in full speed so it was incoherent, but it was memory. It only flashed for a second.

The person standing in the middle of the road.
The car crash.
Her car being tipped over.
The vampire.
The savior.
Her forgetting it all ...

And then it just stopped. Like she couldn't remember it again even if she tried. That's the same thing that happened when Kol bit her the second time. It's like it was there, but then after she relived it, she was back to being compelled to forget it. She was unable to move due to the shrill shock of what just flashed before her eyes. She couldn't make out who everyone was; it was just a blur, but she remembered. Suddenly, Elena's voice finally rang in her ears.

        "Echo, stop the car!"

She was inching closer to the man, closer and closer, and out of panic, she didn't stop. She swerved. Just like in her memory.

She swerved off the bridge and plunged deep into the water below ...

But that was only that night.

It all started that morning ...

~*~