Chapter 29

chapter 29

I wished that time would forget its place and rewind, just a few seconds was all I needed. My thoughts jumbled together like bumper cars, they clashed and quarrelled, not making any sense in my head. From the heavy breathing and the tough hold that the person had on me, I assumed it was a man.

I panicked, struggling to get away from the stranger, only now realizing the monstrous possibilities.

refused to become a victim of anything.

I violently pulled away from his loosening grip, turned around, and kneed him hard in the crotch and in a matter of seconds he was on the ground.

“Fucking hell, Eliza!”

My eyes widened as relief swam into me. I recognized the voice.

Angrily, I slammed the light switch on and as soon as perception was possible, my suspicions were confirmed.

“You fucking bonehead!

He groaned. “Missed you too.”

“Are you mentally retarded? What is wrong with you?!” I asked, helping him up.

“I don’t know. It was a joke…”

“You have an abnormal sense of humour, I nearly died of heart failure!” He shook his head and looked up, his eyes meeting mine.

It was like looking at the male version of myself, we were so alike.

I rolled my eyes and pulled him into an embrace. He groaned and hugged me, patting me on the back like I was a misbehaving, insolent child. I yanked away from him and began yelling again. “I came back from a horror film, Jose. You’re lucky you’re still alive.”

I turned around and led him into the house.

“So.” He said, following me into the lounge. “Who was the guy?”

“Where’s Ella?” I asked, ignoring him. I was still a bit jumpy because of that stunt he just pulled.

“She left three seconds ago. Took your car.”

“Where did she go so late at night?”

“Jason’s.”

“Right.”

I sat down on the couch and Jose mirrored me, going with the safer option of the couch across from mine. We sat in silence for a while but I bet you my life he was thinking of the most diplomatic way to bring up Trey.

“He has a Porsche. Impressive… But that’s not Trey’s car.”

See.

I knew he was playing stupid, I knew that he knew exactly what happened between me and Trey because Ella must’ve told him.

“Just the fact that you need to ask that question shows me exactly how much insight you deserve.”

“Why are you so mad at me?”

I sighed. “I’m not mad. I, just, I haven’t heard from you in so long, Jose. We’ve drifted apart, it’s weird now.”

He looked away and after an incredibly awkward silence, he spoke. “Trey is an idiot. He’s a bastard.”

“I know.”

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t here for you. I should’ve been, as your brother, but I wasn’t and that makes me a douchebag.”