chapter 37

chapter 37: part 1

“Happy Birthday!”

My eyes flew open as I fell out of bed, landing on the floor with a loud thud.

I groaned, turning around to see Zayn and Ella hovering over me. I groaned again, turning away from them and closing my eyes. I had come home at around 4 in the morning from my granddad’s house. He had gotten extremely sick and just like Zayn, refused to go to the hospital.

What is it with men and hospitals?

I hadn’t let Zayn go so easily though. When he’d fallen asleep that night, I had called my family doctor and booked an appointment.

But right now, all I wanted to do was sleep.

I heard his muffled voice through the pillow I had used to block out the noise they were making.

“Is she dead?”

The next thing I knew, the blanket was being ripped away from me and I was being pulled up.

“It’s 10 o’clock! You’ve never slept in this late.” Ella said.

“C’mon… Do you want us to sing for you?”

“No…” I grumbled, blindly searching for the blanket.

“A 1, a 2, a, 1, 2 3 – Let’s go!” I heard Zayn start to sing an interesting… remix of the happy birthday song. Groaning inwardly, I stuck out my middle finger.

“Alright, I’m in the kitchen… Warn me when sleeping beauty here is awake.” Ella’s footsteps faded away and I smiled to myself, thinking that I would finally be getting some peace and quiet. As if challenging my thoughts, I felt Zayn’s strong arms pick me up gently before he laid me back down onto the bed.

Feeling him crawl over me, I finally opened my eyes and met his brown. “Happy birthday, babe.” I heard him whisper. Before I could say anything, his lips were on mine and my eyes were closed again. I felt a smile forming on my face as I silently prayed that his lips were the last I would ever kiss.

When he pulled away, I smiled at him.

“Awake are you?” Zayn asked, a smug grin on his face.

I rolled my eyes, pushing him off of me with a surprising amount of force. Zayn yelped, his shoulder receiving the worst of the fall. I was up in an instant, hovering over him as he winced. I lifted his sleeve frantically to see if the bandage had moved at all. It was perfectly fine and I sighed.

“This is assault!” He cried.

“You are such a drama queen, Zayn.”

“Fight me.”

“No.”

“Then kiss me.”

“No.”

“Kiss me or I’ll call the cops.”

“Oh?”

“Oh.”

“Well…” I brought my thumb to his lips. “Then I suppose, I have to kiss you?”

“I suppose you do.” I smiled as I leant in, giving him a kiss on his lips. “It’s Halloween.” He told me as I rested my arms on his chest.

“I know. I’m cursed because every year, my birthday is celebrated with some stupid horror film or something or just going out to beg for candy. You know I’ve never actually had a birthday party because we always went out for trick or treating? Al always said I was lucky because come on, free candy on your birthday? Apparently it doesn’t get any better than that.”