Chapter 63

chapter 63

I drove to the hospital in a weird kind of silence - something I had grown accustomed to. My shift didn’t start until later that day, so I’d spent the morning with Sabrina and Lisa, picking out a guestbook for her guests to sign. It was amazing how anxious Lisa was for this wedding; the fact that she needed help selecting a guestbook was enough to send me into delirious fits of laughter, but I contained myself for her sake. It was like she wanted nothing more than to get the wedding over with.

“In a week, I’ll be freeeee,” she had sung when we finally decided on a beige guestbook.

I smiled to myself as I pulled into the hospital parking lot, frowning at my employee park pass as it stuck to the windshield. Clambering out of my car, I wrapped my jacket around me and began the long, incredibly cold walk into the hospital. When I got inside, I waved at the receptionist, who I now knew by name and she smiled back.

I still had fifteen minutes before my shift at the hospital started, which was perfect. Jose and Adrianna had an appointment in the pregnancy ward with her obstetrician and I decided to pay them a visit and see how everything was going. Pulling out my phone, I texted him quickly and almost instantaneously, he responded. He told me which room he was in and I arrived in less than five minutes, seeing as I knew the building better than the back of my own hand.

“Hello,” I sang, walking into their room. Adrianna was lying on the bed, her protruding tummy facing upwards. Jose was standing beside her, his mouth stretched into a smile that displayed obvious glee.  A doctor I didn’t recognize was performing the scan to check if the baby was healthy. They all looked up and greeted me when I walked in. I strolled over to Jose who looked like he was about to burst into tears.

“Are you alright?” I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m going to be a father,” He whispered.

I grinned. “You’re such an idiot. Look, I just dropped in to say hello. In fact,” I glanced at my watch, “I have five minutes to get to work. How are you doing, Adrianna?”

“Absolutely spectacular. And yourself?”

“I’ve had better days,” I said truthfully. “Well, then, this may just have been the shortest visit of my life, but it was nice seeing the both of you. Give my love to Annie!” I said, one foot already out the door.

“Leaving already?”

“Yeah, work first, then play.”

“Then dinner?” He asked, flinging his head around the door to see me.

“What time?” I asked, now walking backwards.

“Around 7!”

“I’ll be there-” I was about to turn around when I bumped into someone. Flinging around, I immediately began spluttering in apology, knowing very well that Jose had burst into laughter. I looked up and was relieved to see that it was no one who would punish me too severely. It was Melanie.

“Dear, walk like that often and you’ll be in the hospital for longer than you’d like.”

I felt myself flushing in embarrassment. “I’m sorry, Melanie.”

“It’s lucky I bumped into you, actually. Dr. Brent, or… Seth… wanted to speak to you in private. He said it was extremely urgent and that he needed you to speak with him. He told me earlier this morning to tell you if he sees you, so make sure you check in with him, alright?”

I felt my knees weaken at the thought of being in trouble but I thanked Melanie and nearly jogged back to my ward. Walking over to Frieda, who was the head nurse of the closed ward, I asked her if she knew where Seth was.