Chapter 52

chapter 52: part 1

“Where are your friends?” I asked him, whispering in his ear so he would hear me over the blaring music. I don’t think Al heard me but he must’ve assumed what I was asking for; moments later, he directed me towards a group of four guys who were sitting in a secluded section of the club.

My heart fell when I realized that I knew them.

Club 19, according to Al, was the hippest, newest thing in town. As soon as I’d walked in, I’d been hit with a wave from the 90’s. Coloured tiles covered the dance floor, a large disco ball hung from the low ceiling, and a crowd of over exuberant people were dancing in the middle of it all. Music pumped into my ears like air to my lungs and instantly, I regretted coming with Al, who eagerly had picked me up just thirty minutes ago.

Talk about an awkward car ride.

Al was impressed with the club – I could tell even when he whispered, “This is nothing like the K2, but it’s still ace.”

“This was such a bad idea,” I groaned, wishing I could turn back this instant. As if reading my mind, I saw Al roll his eyes before he began walking towards the group of assholes I remembered from high school. Following him like a lost puppy, I cringed when I heard the familiar laughter of one of Al’s best friends.

“Ally, my man! Where were you–”

Faizan.

That voice was recognizable anywhere.

All four of their mouths fell open when they saw me and I grimaced, waiting to be embarrassed. Faizan’s eyes widened making me want to run away, to hide, to do anything but engage in an awkward reunion.

“Eliza Adams. Fucking shit, you got hot,” He blurted out.

“Shut up, Faiz,” Al said, though a terrible smirk sat on his face as well.

They’d all changed–Jimmy, the quieter of the four was insanely handsome now, his black hair no longer shaggy like it always was back in high school. Kurt, or more commonly known as Kernel, was smiling politely but I knew better than to trust that deceiving smile. King of the jocks, Kernel was exactly what the stereotype said he was–a spoilt, pompous, and sexist pig, he’d crossed paths with me once in year 12… And had regretted it since. Then I noticed Ahmad. I was surprised as hell seeing him sitting with his old friends. I always knew he was smarter than the other four so it was a shock when I realized that they’d all still remained friends. His hair was cut shorter than I’d seen it before.

I smiled. It did him good.

“Why don’t you sit here. There’s plenty of room…” Faizan motioned for me to join him on the love seat he was sitting on.

Choosing the seat closer to Jimmy, I sat as far away from him as possible. “I’m fine here.” There were howls of laughter around the circle as Al went and sat across from me.

“Getting dissed by a girl is your all time low, man.” Kernel said, slapping him on his back.

“By the end of the night, she’ll be begging me to take her home.” Faizan replied, to which he earned another round of maniacal snorts and jeers.

They were all sick idiots with zero respect for women. I saw Al laughing as well–it made me want to stuff a toilet plunger down his throat.

“Nice to see you’re still as desperate as you were five years ago,” I snapped, sick of him already.

That wiped the grin off of his face in a matter of a millisecond. “Nice to see you’re still an uptight virgin.”

“Rather that than a male prostitute.” With that, I picked myself up with as much dignity as I had left in me and began walking away. I knew that Al was right behind me but I didn’t care. I was humiliated and sad–