chapter 41

chapter 41

“Cytomegalovirus is a herpes viral genus of the Herpes viruses group: in humans it is commonly known as HCMV. CMV belongs to the Betaherpesvirinae subfamily of Herpesviridae, which also includes, um also includes,” I looked down at my lecture notes and mentally slapped myself for forgetting, “Oh, right. CMV belongs to the Betaherpesvirinae subfamily of Herpesviridae, which also includes Roseolovirus. Other herpes viruses fall into the subfamilies of Alphaherpesvirinae–”

“Eli, we need to be there in an hour, if we’re late mum will kill me.” Zayn said, his voice getting more anxious as the seconds passed.

I looked up at him from my genetics textbook and frowned. “I’m studying…”

“Study later!” He said, fixing his tuxedo. He took my hairbrush and began combing his hair as he walked back to the washroom. I started repeating the terms in my head as I applied a thin layer of golden eye shadow on my lids, carefully studying myself in the vanity mirror. “Biochemical genetics involves the diagnosis and management of natural errors of metabolism in which patients have enzymatic deficiencies that agitate biochemical pathways involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, amino acids, and lipids–”

“What are you saying?” I heard his voice from the bathroom.

I stood up, the dress Zayn bought me flowing down gracefully. It was a deep brown colour, an articulate design repeating itself down the material. It accentuated my waist, brought out my eyes but was simple and elegant. I put on my earrings quickly and looked at myself in the mirror. I sighed, satisfied.

Hearing Zayn’s footsteps returning from the bathroom, I looked up and saw him adjusting his watch carefully.

“Holy shit Eli, it’s already–”

He looked up at me then and his eyes widened.

I shook my head, “Zayn, I can’t hurry up, you don’t understand!” I said, closing my eyes in frustration.

“Eli–”

“If I don’t get an eighty five or higher on this exam, I am not passing, I am not becoming a doctor, I willfail and my life will be ruined and everything I ever worked for will go down the drain and all the money and time and effort, everything, and I still don’t know the difference between sarcoma and melanoma cells and oh my god, look at the time, I only have 12 hours until the exam and I need to study or else I will die–”

“Eliza, nobody’s going to die–”

“No, you don’t get it! I am going to fail, I am going to fail and then I’ll have to be a stupid waitress all my life and live off of the money I got from the painting and then we’ll have to live on the streets in a cardboard box, did you know there’s no cable in a cardboard box? This obviously isn’t a big deal to you but it is to me because if I don’t have this then what do I have–”

“You need to breathe.”

“Don’t tell me what to do!” I snapped. “I’ll do what I want, whenever I want, wherever I want and youcannot and you will not tell me when and where to breathe!”

He stared at me.

I shook my head, throwing my hands in the air. “Look at me talking like a lunatic, I’ve gone completely insane, I’m so sorry, I don’t know what I’m doing, I just really need to pass this exam.”

Zayn shook his head.

“I was going to say that you look very pretty.” I felt myself blush ferociously as he walked up to me, a lopsided grin on his face. “You are one hell of a beautiful girl.”