•|Chapter 2|•

*Y= your initial while texting
(M/n)= mother's name*

My door creaked open and my mom stuck her head in.

"Wow. You do know it's almost noon? You're still sleeping?"

I picked my head up from my pillow and tried to talk but it didn't sound at all like English.

"Huh?"

"Ubghgngh" I repeated

She laughed and left, pulling the door closed behind her.

Ugh. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. My hands fumbled along my nightstand until I reached what I was looking for and grasped my hand around it. I yawned and unlocked my phone, squinting tiredly at the bright screen. Nothing. I didn't mind. It was nice actually. I mustered up enough strength to pull myself from the deep depths of comfort. 2:30 was the appointment? Right? I had time. I had a lot of time. It was probably a good idea to shower so I looked somewhat presentable for the showing. Wait. Why did I care? I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I ended up showering anyway. After I got out of the shower I dressed myself in a simple white romper and dark sandals.

"It needs something else." I said to myself in the mirror. "Ah!" I skimmed through my closet to find a forest green jacket. It was super light, so I just threw it over my shoulders and headed downstairs for breakfast. Mom sat on the couch contently watching HGTV.

I poured myself a bowl of fruity pebbles and sat down beside her.

"Fixer upper? I love Chip!" I said through a mouthful of cereal.

"I love Jojo's ideas."

"They are pretty cool." I agreed

We sat together in silence, our eyes focused on the TV.

"That kitchen is adorable. I want it." I said in awe.

"Me too." She sighed

I finished my cereal and walked up to the sink to wash my bowl. The clock chimed from the dining room, signaling the start of a new hour. 2 already? Hm. I jogged back upstairs and threw on some makeup, teasing my hair slightly before leaving the bathroom.

"Don't forget! 2:30! I gotta go. Love you!" Mom called

"Ya, ya I got it. Love you too." I made my way down the stairs and followed her out the front door.

"You don't have to do much. Here's the key." She said, dangling a single key in front of my face.

"Gotcha."

She opened the car door and almost lowered herself into the seat when she stopped. "Good luck."

"Good luck? Mom I'll be fine."

She started the car and poked her head out of the window. "I know you will. By the way, his name is Mark!"

I straightened my jacket and started to walk down the street to the rental. It was only about 3 houses down, which was nice. The house was painted a dark brown yet the door a was a sunny yellow along with the mailbox. I called it the "chocolate covered banana" for obvious reasons. Whenever mom and I were in a conversation about rentals, that's how I described this house. We had so many rentals that we had to have something to pick one out from the rest. Nicknames. For houses. We're weird. I shook my head and smiled to myself. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I peeked at it. 2:35. Good to know. And a message from Spencer.