Chapter 8

Wyatt disappeared as soon as he possibly could. He was just waiting for a chance. There was something about him that I had never noticed before and it intrigued me. I just couldn't put my finger on it. When we were younger and I used to see him around school, I would duck my head deeper into my books and keep walking. There was no need to get tied up with that, but regardless I could feel his stare burning a hole in my head. He wouldn't just look at me with intensity, but he looked at everyone the same way, like he was trying to figure them out.

The thought had popped up in my head when I zoned out and began fixing the bed that Wyatt had recently occupied. I wondered what mess he was caught up in and why he was the way he was. But again, it was none of my business, even though I wanted to make it my business so I could know.

I sighed as I shuffled over to the front area of the hospital again. The place felt empty without anybody, specifically Wyatt. Believe it or not, in the past few days I had actually warmed up to him, even though I knew very little about him or his life situation. It was nice to be with someone who didn't expect anything from you and from whom you expected nothing. I let myself be tangled in my thoughts and but was cut away from the peacefulness with the loud ringing of my cell phone.

Only one person would call me at two in the morning, so I didn't even bother to check the caller ID before picking up on the last ring. "Yes?"

"Now that's no way to talk to the woman who kept you inside of her for nine months." The voice slurred in response.

Of course she was intoxicated; she had nothing better to do now did she? "What do you want, mom?" I struggled to call her my mother but did so, regardless. She had taken care of me for a mere eight years, even if the other sixteen had been a waste.

"I want fuuuuunnn!" She yelled. I heard music blaring behind her and a few slurred voices trying to make conversation.

"I think you've had enough fun for one night." I ended coldly. She wouldn't catch on to my tone but it made me feel better.

"Don't be a party pooper," My mother grumbled.

"Mom, I-" But I couldn't say more before I heard a groan and a few disgusted voices blare through the phone.

"Woops! I think this person might need a new couch....and need to wash his hair..." Her voice came out childlike and without asking, I knew what she had done.

"Mom! Get a hold of yourself." I spoke loudly through the phone. Concern wafted me and I started to panic. I could not afford bail. "I'm coming to get you and don't you dare move. Where are you?"

"I don't know....I think it's some guy name Johnny Depp....or maybe it was Brad Pitt....." My mother trailed off confused.

"Ugh! Perfect!" I growled. She always did this. First she made a mess and then she wanted me to clean it up for her. Sometimes I wondered why she couldn't just uphold her responsibilities as my mother, adequately. It was hard, I understood but she had to pull herself together.

"Hey, Lady? Are you okay?" Another voice came through the phone and suddenly my hope sprung.

"Hello! Hello?" I spoke through the phone, hoping that the person who was speaking could hear me.

"Hello?" A deep voice asked.

"Oh my god, Hello! Hi! Can you tell me where you are? I need to come and pick my mom up." I spoke rapidly.

"Uh...Is she the one who just threw up on Brent's head?" He asked, disgustedly.

"I don't know who or what Brent is but if there is an older looking woman with vomit on the side of her face who is most likely collapsed on the floor by now, then yah! That's her." I responded sarcastically.