Part 18

The hot water burned my skin but I didn't care because it relaxed me. I heard Wyatt's light knocks on the bathroom door and thought of responding but just ignored them in the end.

Everyone decided to give me some time to cool off, so they let me wander outside. I didn't come back for a few hours and roamed the town instead. It was nice and peaceful at night. When I came back, Wyatt was waiting for me in the living room and everyone else had gone to bed. I didn't feel like speaking with him, so I rushed upstairs. He ran after me this time but thankfully my short legs were fast and I was locked in the washroom before Wyatt even stepped foot in the room.

It was probably around 2am, and I should have been in bed by now, but I really didn't feel like stepping out of the shower and facing Wyatt. After another 10 minutes or so, I convinced myself otherwise and stepped out of the warm shower. I quickly dried my aching body and slipped on a white shirt and black and white pajama pants. I looked at myself in the mirror and grimaced. My wet hair hung low below my shoulders and drenched the top of my shirt slightly. My eyes had bags under them and I just looked tired.

"Gemma..." My attention snapped towards the door and I sighed. "Gemma, you have to come out eventually." Wyatt knocked again.

"I know." I responded for the first time in hours.

Wyatt was quiet on the other side, probably in shock that I replied, but I didn't wait for a reply from him and walked over to the door to open it. Wyatt leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest. His head drooped low in exhaustion but he still managed to look at me with a stern look. "You okay?" He asked.

I looked through his dark eyes and shrugged. I really didn't know why I made such a big deal about Rosaline. She just sparked something in me and now I felt stupid for my actions. I am a grown woman and yet my behaviour is just like the average child's. I shouldn't have created such a fuss.

"I feel stupid." I looked down at the oak floors of the guest room.

Wyatt sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You shouldn't, it was a normal reaction. Trust me."

I shrugged in response, because I didn't know what else to say. Wyatt and I stood facing each other but neither one of us said anything. I truly felt like a child because of my behaviour. I would apologize today and hopefully things would dissipate between Rosaline and I, but at this point I didn't know for sure.

"You want to go to bed now?" Wyatt asked, quietly. Instead of responding, I just nodded and headed over to the bed. There was only one large queen bed placed in the room, by now though, I was used to sharing a bed with Wyatt.

Mutely, I slipped under the grey comforter and let my body relax into the sheets. It felt nice to finally rest. My eyes instantly closed and I heard Wyatt switch off the lights and slide into bed beside me. Silence took over the room and the narrow gap between Wyatt and I was excruciating, but I didn't move. "Why didn't you come after me?" I asked randomly. the question had been bugging me but I hadn't given it much thought until now.

Wyatt didn't respond for a moment but then said something that put my mind at rest instantly. "The best advice that someone gave me was to give someone space if they need it because if you don't then you'll grow closer to them but they'll grow away from you."

***********************

"Grayson you idiot!" A voice roared.

"What! You asked for it!" Grayson responded.

"I didn't ask you to pour pancake batter on my head!"

Grayson chuckled, "Then you shouldn't have poured milk down my shirt!"