||38||

•Chapter Thirty-Eight•
Loki's Fate
(Part Two)
(UNKNOWN LOCATION)
REWRITTEN

I was bombarded with smoke.  It was everywhere—my eyes, my nose, my lungs.  I started coughing, sending me stumbling to the floor. I pulled the neck of my dress up to cover my mouth. To try to block some of it out.

I forced myself back up. My gaze was wild as I searched through the smoke and raging flames. The thought that I could die didn't even cross my mind until later. All I knew was that I had to find Loki, and get us both out.

There was a dark figure at the end of the hall. It leaned against the wall, unmoving. I knew, without a doubt, that the figure clouded in smoke was brother.

I ventured farther. With every step sweat poured down my forehead and the closer I got, the more I could tell that Loki was injured. Blood ran down his face from a cut on his forehead and the arm closest to me was bent at an awkward angle. Probably broke—like my own wrist. I ran towards him.

My knees ached in protest as I dropped next to my brother. I shook his arms, my eyes and lungs burning from the smoke. There was no way I could carry him out.

"Loki! Wake up, please." My voice was raspy as I pushed him again. Something above us started to crack. If we didn't get out soon, the entire house was going to come down on top of us.

Loki let out a soft groan. I shook my head, shaking his arm again, "come on Loki. I'm going to need a little more then a groan. I really don't want to burn to death trying to carry you out."

Loki's lips formed a small smile. His emerald eyes cracked open.

"Even facing death," he coughed, reaching out to wrap his arm around me, "You're being sarcastic."

I would have laughed if it hadn't been for the fire inching closer to us.

"I think I have just enough energy to teleport us both out." Loki groaned, pushing himself up. Right as he finished, an even louder crack sounded above us. My gaze whipped up to see a massive burning wood beam falling straight at us.

I let out a scream, burrowing myself into Loki's side.

Suddenly I was cold. Very cold. Am I dead?

"No, you're not dead." A voice joked above me. I peeked my eyes open, not letting go of my brother, and looked up. Tony stood above us in his Iron Man suit.

My head whipped back to Loki. He got us out.

My brother's eyes were closed and he was taking in sharp breaths of air. Pain and exhaustion laced his face. I felt a tear slip down my cheek as I reached out and gently touched his nose.

"No," he grumbled, catching my hand and just holding it. My lip trembled and I laid my head on his chest, letting out a tired sigh.

Then a laugh as I cried.

We were alive.

Amora and Thanos were either missing or dead.

Loki was okay.

We were okay.