twenty-four

"hey, look at me" Ashton whispers. I try to lift my head up but I just can't. no one except Clair has ever seen me this weak. "please?"

I look up at Ashton and you can just tell something inside him broke.

Ashton's POV

I know I shouldn't have looked at her the way I did. it scared her I saw the way she changed moods.

Her eyes were red from crying so much. Tears were still running down her face. You could tell she tried to wipe them away, but they just kept coming down like a waterfall. With just one look it's almost as if you could feel her pain. I know I could. Maybe it was because I truly loved this girl.

She couldn't know that. I know she loves harry. No matter how much he hurts her she still loves him. Something I never understood about love. Why continue to chase after someone who continuously hurts you? If you love someone you should never hurt them. I know I would never hurt her. Ever. I would do anything to make her happy.

Avery's POV

"You know, these past few months I've been here I learned something very important" she says and wipes a tear from her eye. "people are never what they seem. there's always some kind of secret they're keeping or just something that you didn't see before. I learned that the hard way"

Maybe Harry's hiding something. Why didn't I ever see it that way? Theres always a reason as to why people do the things they do. This was all too stressful to think about right now.

"I just wanna go home" I say and break down. But the problem with that is that I didn't have a home.

When people think of home. It's usually good thoughts. You think of family happy memories and sometimes even sad. When I think of home. My thoughts are never good. I have fear. I think of my dad, all the times he's hurt me. I think of all those days I've arrived from school in fear. When I think of home it's only sad memories.

"I want to be with my mom" I finally say.

"I can call a taxi that'll take you to your moms house" he suggests and I lightly laugh.

"that wouldn't work Ashton" I say.

"yes it will. why wouldn't it?" he argues.

"Ashton it won't" I say again.

"but why not?"

"because my moms in heaven" I say. "know any cabs that can take you to heaven? when you find one please wake me up" my voice cracks and I lay down. He probably feels horrible now.

"don't feel horrible Ashton. you didn't know"

"wait did I say that out loud?"

"say what out loud? it's just what everyone says after they find out. it's not like you killed her. so don't feel horrible, it's fine" I say and close my eyes.

Ashton's POV

It's almost as if she read my mind. I did feel horrible. Even if I didn't know her mom was dead I still felt horrible.

"here" I say and adjust the seats, making it easier for us to lie down. Then I get a pillow from the back.

"it's a good thing you store pillows and blankets in your car" she looks at me. "because it looks like we're spending the night in a truck in the middle of nowhere" she says and kisses me before turning on her side. I hug her from the waist before whispering,

"sweet dreams beautiful" in her ear.

«

Avery's POV