Going to church

"You haven't heard yet?" Lois asks Julie as she sits down. "Yeah, your mom got into it with him." Rae listens without any real interest until Julie gets up and storms away. Rae groans and hits Lois's arm.

"Lois!" She hisses.

"I thought it was for the best." Lois protests. "She should know that her mom got in screaming match with him."

"Sweetie, it's a good thing you're pretty because I'm sorry but you're not very smart." Rae says tiredly.

"Are you watching Dirty Dancing for the billionth time?" Carden demands, walking in after football practice.

"Do not mock this movie. It's a classic." Tim chides sternly and Carden rolls his eyes, shutting the TV off.

"Get up Tim. Go play football." He says flatly.

"Carden." Tim says warningly.

"No, don't 'Carden' me! Mais works her ass off day in and day out just to make sure I can eat at night and you're watching a terrible 80's movie for the billionth time. Did you know that the other night I found her looking at colleges in Texas?" Carden informs him and Tim looks at him, shocked.

"She hates Texas." He says. Carden laughs humorlessly and nods.

"Yeah, but she said you love it and she owes it to you to just look at places, to see if they're nearby. And now, you owe it to her to get your ass on that field so you can make her proud." With that, Carden turns the TV on, opens the fridge, heats up the leftovers, and goes to his room to eat, leaving Tim Riggins stunned and speechless as the TV continues to play.

"Rae I love you." Tim says, kissing her forehead in the kitchen. Rae looks up at him in surprise.

"I love you too?" She says unsurely, wary of where this might be going.

"I said sorry." He informs her, downing a beer. "I said sorry to everyone. And coach let me back on the team."

"Oh thank god." She says, relieved.

"But I'll be bringing home extra laundry cause he's got me doing chores." He calls, heading to the backyard where Carden is.

"Like hell you are!" She yells out the door. "I'm not doing anything you're suppose to be doing Tim Riggins! And I'm sure as hell not doing any more laundry than I already have! Tim! Tim? Tim!"

She stands at the game, finally watching her number 33 on the field, smiling proudly at the sight.

"You must be proud." Mrs. Taylor comments, touching her shoulder. Rae watches as Tim jogs off the field, cheering at their amazing comeback win. She's standing next to her and Julie, holding Gracie.

"Yeah." She says softly when he looks up at her, with crossed fingers. She raises her fingers as well. "I'm pretty damn proud of him."

"You bringing him to Gracie's christening?" Mrs. Taylor asks, smiling at her. Rae stutters, surprised at the offer.

"Mrs. Taylor, I haven't been to church in a long time." She finally admits, looking at Gracie so she doesn't have to look up.

"So? It's not about the church Rae, it's about the fact that you're like Gracie's other big sister." Mrs. Taylor says firmly, kissing Gracie's head then kissing Rae's forehead as well.

"Does Tim Riggins even own church clothes?" Julie wonders thoughtfully and they all laugh.

"Tim, don't lie to me if you can't actually tie a tie." She requests, brushing Carden's hair in the bathroom. Tim appears in the doorway, with a tangled tie at his throat and a crabby expression.

"Ok, I'm not lying." He deadpans and Rae groans and throws her hands up while Carden doubles over in laughter.

"Not funny Carden." Rae threatens. "Go load up the car while I try to fix this mess. Don't forget Gracie's gift. What did you do?" She frets, trying to figure out where to even start.

"Rae, I haven't been to church in years." He says, looking up so she has better access to his tie.

"That makes two of us." She mutters, pecking at the tie futilely. "Three, if Carden was here to input."

"When was the last time you went?" He asks, looking down at her. She grunts and pushes his chin back up.

"When my mom got diagnosed for the second time. I told her that her God could shove it and I was putting my faith in something else." She informs him, finally fixing the tie.

"Yeah? And what's your faith in now?" He asks, looking at her. She looks up at him then smiles slowly.

"You, Tim Riggins. I put my faith in you a long time ago." She says sweetly, kissing his nose.

"That dress looks real nice on you." He says and she smiles, shimming her hips slightly. "Oh, don't do that to me before taking me to church." He groans lowly, ensnaring her in his arms.

"Afterwards." She mutters, giving him a kiss. They sit through the service and Mrs. Taylor smiles at them and Mr. Taylor shakes Tim's hand and tells him he cleans up pretty nice. And afterwards, as they walk hand in hand, as Carden tosses the football with some buddies, Tim looks down at her.

"Do you think I could get into some of those Minnesota schools you're always talking about?" He asks offhandedly. Rae looks up at him, startled.

"What?" She demands. He shrugs.

"My 18th birthday is coming up. We could become guardians of Car. I could apply up there, we could move, bring Car with us. Get a house, he could finally play hockey again. You know, just like you've always had planned. I mean, if Oklahoma is looking at me, won't some of your Minnesota schools look at me?" He says thoughtfully and Rae stares up at him, speechless. "You don't have to say anything, just think about it, ok?" He says then darts in and picks the ball from out of Carden's hands, laughing when he protests. Rae watches him tussle with the neighborhood boys, absolutely wordless.