Rainy Football Games

"What in god's name is going on? What in the world is going on?" Rae demands, gesturing angrily at the field.

"The refs are dirty, that's why we can't get a call." Mrs. Taylor explains to Rae when she stares wide eyed at the field. She carefully shields Gracie's eyes, watching as Tim gets slammed into the ground.

"You know what this means?" Rae mutters out of the corner of her mouth to Julie, who raises her eyebrows. "Tim will want it rough." Julie makes a face then shakes her head.

"No. Nope. I did not hear that. Not a single thing about you and Tim Riggins." Julie says flatly. Rae laughs then sobers when Coach Taylor gets thrown out of the game. Despite it, Tim gets the touchdown and Rae cheers loudly, bouncing Gracie up and down excitedly.

"Baby, nicely done." She says proudly as Tim shields her from Buckley's enraged crowd.

"Thank you, thank you." He says happily, kissing her nose.

"You know what?" She says thoughtfully. "I never get sick of meeting you on the fields after these games."

"Good thing you got four years of it ahead of you." He tells her then cheers and goes to celebrate with his team in the locker room.

"What was that?" Julie demands from behind her.

"Tim got into college." Rae says, staring at Tim's back as he jogs to the locker room. "Tim is going to college."

"Those are words I never thought I'd hear." Julie admits.

"Smash isn't signed to a college and Tim is. It's like my world is flipped outside down and inside out." Rae muses as they wander back to the car.

"I swear to god if I have to get this door one more time when there are three people living in this house, I will murder both of you. In your sleep. With rusty butter knives." Rae threatens, pulling the door open. Billy is looking at her with wide eyes. Tim and Carson roar with laughter behind her.

"Is this a bad time?" He asks worriedly and Rae shakes her head, letting him in, speechless.

"Uh, there's pasta on the stove, you can grab a plate. Carden can get you some iced tea." She offers, once she's got her bearings back. "Oh god, that sounds so Southern." She says, taken aback at herself. Billy waves a hand.

"No, I came here to apologize." He admits. "I really could have messed things up for Tim and I accused you of a lot of things and none of them were true. You're a good girl and you're good for Tim and I should have remembered that before I got angry with you. It's just... It's... He's my little brother." He trails off and looks down and Rae sees, very clearly, the resemblance to Tim and a smile cracks at the corner of her mouth.

"You did a good job with him Billy." She says and he looks up. "I mean, not a great job. But he's a good kid. And I know you're probably more proud of him than me, so I want us to celebrate it all together."

"Thank you Rae." He says gratefully.

"C'mon in. Have some pasta." She says and he smiles, brushing past her and heading towards the kitchen.

"I HATE FOOTBALL. I HATE FOOTBALL GAMES. I HATE RAIN. I HATE RAINY FOOTBALL GAMES. I HATE TIM RIGGINS. I HATE THIS." Rae hollers at the top of her lungs.

"SHE HATES FOOTBALL. SHE HATES FOOTBALL GAMES AND RAIN." Julie yells back, making Mrs. Taylor snort in laughter.

"WHETHER WE'RE WINNING OR NOT I STILL HATE FOOTBALL. I HATE IT. I HATE IT. I HATE FOOTBALL. YOU HEAR ME, TEXAS? I. HATE. FOOTBALL." She bellows and Julie doubles over in laughter.

"You'll get lynched for that if anyone could hear you." Mrs. Taylor comments and Rae huffs and folds her arms.

"I would like to see them try. Especially in this weather." She says but has rapt attention as she watches the final play and Tim catches the ball, sliding the mud and water.

"WE'RE GOING TO STATE!" Julie yells, jumping up and down, making the bleachers splash water. They both clamber down the stands, running towards the field with the flow of people.

"You are insane. Absolutely crazy." Rae says to Tim, removing his helmet with a smile.

"You're soaked." He observes in amusement.

"I am, my ass is soaked because I came out here to watch you, you stupid idiot and I'm all wet." She says, poking him hard in the chest.

"I'll take you home and get those wet clothes off you." He offers, kissing her ear and neck. She laughs and puts her arms around his neck.

"Aren't we going to a party?" She asks, as he drives towards home.

"No. The real parties are after state, you know that." He says and she just stares at him with an eyebrow raised. "Rae, I'm serious. I want a night in. With you. Is that so weird?"

"You're Tim Riggins, so yes, it is!" She says pointedly and he sighs, taking her hand in his.

"I just want some time with you. Ok?" He asks and she nods slowly.

"Alright, fine. But let's take a nice warm shower. I'm soaked and I'm cold to the bone."

"Hey, Tim." Carden asks in the morning, flipping through his hockey magazine absentmindedly. "How come you haven't announced that you're playing for SA State?" Rae looks up and Tim chews thoughtfully on his toast.

"I don't want to rub it in. It's not fair, with Smash's scholarship gone. I'll do it after state probably." He decides and Rae kisses his head, taking Carden's magazine in one smooth move.

"Hey!" He protests.

"I'm proud of you babe. And don't give me that look Carden. I know you have math and I know you haven't even taken it out of you folder. Let's get cracking, we have state this weekend and no one is getting anything done, I promise you that." She decrees as Tim and Carden groan in unison.