Chapter 31

(A/N: Two things: first, this chapter will have an event that I made up entirely, because I can. Second, in this story, the seventh years leave Hogwarts early, before the younger years, because they're graduating. Oh, a picture of her dress is above. I'm praying that it shows up.)

Scarlet's POV, 3 weeks later.

My eyes fluttered open as the afternoon sunlight shone through the window. I sat up on my elbows, looking around the room. I smiled at Emaly's still-sleeping form.

Today was my last day as a student of Hogwarts. My stomach fluttered at what the day would bring. Yesterday I had taken my N.E.W.T.s, and Severus informed me that I had done exceptionally well, despite my absence from classes in the beginning of the year. I could only believe that Dumbledore had informed him of that information.

Tonight was the graduation dinner and dance that was given for all seventh years before they would ride across the lake for one last time.

I was especially excited because I wouldn't have to hide my feelings about Severus from everyone anymore. Who was going to care now? I was done with school.

Oh, and let's not forget that I was going to be able to dress up. I'd been waiting for this all year.

Speaking of...

"Emaly, wake up right now!" I shrieked, pulling back my covers.

She stirred, and raised her head up, looking confused.

"Huh?"

I laughed at her, and then stood above her as she laid there. "We have to go to Hogsmeade, and find a dress for the dance and dinner tonight. Have you forgotten?"

Emaly smacked her forehead with her palm, and sat up, looking at me. "I have. Are we going now?!"

I nodded, smirking, "Better hurry."

*******

Emaly and I were linked together by our arms as we walked through the mostly empty streets. Hogsmeade wasn't particularly busy, which was good for us, considering we seem to procrastinate until the very last second.

Seconds later, we arrived on the doorstep of Madame Malkin's. We walked inside, and noticed it wasn't as crowded as we would have thought.

We started to scan displays of dresses and robes, and instantly my eyes landed on a beautiful dress. I gripped it in my fingers and couldn't tear my eyes away. It was blood red, with multiple layers,  a plunging jeweled neckline, and a fitted bodice. The back of the dress was cut out, except for two thin straps.

I was in such a trance, that it took me a moment to feel Emaly's hand on my shoulder.

I snapped out of it, and smiled at her.

"Em...this is the one.." I whispered.

Her eyes widened with appreciation, and nodded. "Agreed. You have to buy it, Scarlet."

I smirked, and held the dress in my hands, being careful not to wrinkle it.

"Your turn, Em. You need the perfect dress as well."

******

Hours later, 8pm

"Emaly, you have to sit still, I have to finish your hair!" I scolded.

We were already a couple minutes late, which I hated.

I could see her pout in the mirror, and smiled. I worked diligently, and moments later I was done.

She got up from the chair, and stood next to me. Her dress was black and strapless, and her long brown hair was curled into a low chignon. She looked beautiful.