Chapter Sixteen

-Dick's POV-

Quickly rolling behind a trashcan, I was given a perfect view of the problem in front of us. Captain Cold and Captain Boomerang stood side by side, looking around for us. I smirked and looked to the sky to see M'gann in camo-mode. She smiled at me and flew down, grabbing Captain Boomerang's shoulders.

I launched myself over the trashcan I was behind and landed on top of Captain Cold. He reached for his gun, but I kicked it from his hands and pinned him down. After an extra little punch to the cheek, I cuffed Cold and M'gann and I put the two Captains in the bioship.

"Beta squad mission complete, Aqualad. Captain Cold and Captain Boomerang are secured in the bioship and are ready to be handed over to the authorities," I reported, glancing back at the two criminals in the back, "and they don't seem too happy."

"I don't think anyone in the situations they have found themselves in would be," Aqualad said, chuckling. I nodded and clicked the com off.

"It's nice to have you back, Nightwing," M'gann turned toward me with a proud look on her face. "I mean, look at how much we've gotten done just from having you here! As a Team, six missions were completed today and you were on three of those six! It's nice to finally have the old Team back together again."

"Yeah...well, what's left of it," I sighed, instantly thinking of the fallen members. Thinking of Wally, to be specific. M'gann giggled a little and flashed me a sad smile. The type of smile you would use when remebering old, sweet memories.

"Wally was such a jokester. He would be so angry that we are all so serious and sad all the time. That was his purpose other than being a speedster. He was what kept us all smiling." Memories of all the corny jokes that Wally cracked flashed in my mind, making me laugh a little. M'gann was right, he was gone. And knowing Wally, he would kick my ass for being so serious all the time.

We landed the bioship in the port on the Watchtower. Gamma squad had returned from their mission, but Alpha was still yet to return. M'gann headed to the showers and I followed, but Aqualad's firm arm grip stopped me.

"Dick, let's talk," he whispered, pulling me close to him to hear what he said. He led me into a seperate board room where meetings were sometimes held. "I'm certain everyone will agree with me when I say it is an honor and a pleasure to have you on the Team again. We have gotten so much done having your skills put to good use."

"Well, thank you Kaldur. I've been working solo for almost two years, so it feels nice to finally be with other heros again," I said, chuckling and rubbing my neck, "but today, I have been assigned to either Beta or Alpha when I really don't deserve to be. I know you think that I would be offended if you put me on Gamma missions or monitor duty, but I want things to be fair. Just because I was an original member doesn't mean that I deserve to have all the higher missions." It was true. Through the whole day, I had been on two Alpha missions, one Beta mission, and zero Gamma. I liked things to be fair. Robin could handle Alpha missions just as well I could, yet he got all Gamma missions.

"Understood and noted, but I didn't put you on missions because you're my friend. I have a system to how I assign missions. A good team needs strength, strategy, and defense. I usually put the power houses of the Team on a mission everytime. Those included in that area are Superboy, the Wonder Girls, Lagoon Boy, Beast Boy, Miss Martian, and Blue Beetle. Defense is usually covered by the most skilled fighters along with people with powers that could provide good defense. This includes Robin, Batgirl, Arsenal, Artemis, and Zatanna. Finally, in the strategy side, there aren't many people who can think on their feet and successfully create improvised plans. The only people who do this very well are you, Batgirl, and Robin. Batgirl is gone for now and Robin is so young. You're a logical choice for one of the most important aspects of a team. Others are casually assigned to missions depending on how relevant to the mission their powers are, but I leave that up to the strategists. Dick, you are very important to this Team." Aqualad explained, placing a hand on my shoulder. I looked around just as the Alpha squad arrived through the zeta tubes.