Chapter Thirty Four

-Athena's POV-

My father held me close as the winter nipped at my nose. He tucked me inside his ratty, ripped jacket, but I had to stick my nose out. I was a curious little thing.

I smiled as my mother came out from behind the winter trees. She had to pick her legs up pretty high to get through the heavy snow. A few snowflakes caught on my eyelashes, making me happy. I stuck out my tongue and caught as much as I could.

"Mommy!" I cheered, clapping my hands together. My dad whispered for me to be quiet as my mom sat down on the little couch we had. She rubbed my head and smiled up at my dad.

"I brought back my little girl something sweet," she said, handing me a little brown cupcake. I snatched it up and licked off of the white frosting. I devoured the cake and wrapped my arms around her. She was so much warmer than my dad was.

"A cake? You bought that? Those are like four dollars that we don't have..." My dad tried to avoid telling the four year old that we were too poor for a present for me.

"I didn't buy it, Mr. Haly did."

"Who's Mr. Haly?"

"Our new boss!"

"What?"

"For Theeny's birthday, I got us a home! Haly's Circus, the happiest place on Earth!" My mother cheered. My dad got up and grabbed her hands. They began twirling around, cheering. I clapped and laughed until they slipped on ice, falling on each other and laughing.

"Mommy, does that mean we have to leave the country now?" I whimpered, looking at the two lovers on the ice. My mom got up and kneeled in front of me.

"Yes, we have to go to the city. But, Baby Girl, trust me we will be way happier in the big city." I imagined a castle in the clouds as my mom and dad laid side by side on the stolen couch we had in the forest. They cuddled me and tried to keep me warm.

Over the next few days, my parents and I began to pack up all of our belongings. Most of our stuff was stolen. My dad put me on his shoulders on the day we were supposed to get on the train to go to Gotham.

"You ready, Theen?" My dad asked, smiling up at me. I looked around the small village outside of our little camp. It was the first and last time I would be in that small city.

The train was composed of many colorful box cars. I opened my eyes wide open and my mouth dropped. I jumped down from my dad's arms and put my tiny hands on the box cars painted with little elephants on it.

"Look, it's Dumbo!" I called, knocking on the door.

"Hello little girl!" A man approached me, leaning down to see me. "You wanna see the animals?" He asked, grabbing my hand. I nodded.

"I wanna see Dumbo!" I cried, waving my arms like an elephant's trunk.

The door slid open to reveal a car full of hay and two elephants. I clapped and screamed. "Elephants! Elephants!"

"Aren't they magical?" The man held me up so I could pat their painted heads. My parents came up beside me and stuck out their hands.

"I see you already met our daughter," my dad laughed, "nice to meet you Mr. Haly." I looked up at the man who held me.

"Wait, you're what gave us our new life?" I asked. Haly laughed and shrugged, patting my shoulder.

"If the Circus is your new life, then yes."

"Thank you, Mr. Haly."

"Thank you for joining, Dumbo," Haly touched my nose, making me giggle, "let's get you to your cabin."