Chapter Thirty Eight

-Athena's POV-

Another night, another hour, another minute, another second...

I thought to myself while I sat at the dinner table with four other boys. They ate and chatted to each other. I ignored they were there and waited until the second the clock reached eight o'clock. I only promised to stay until eight.

"So, how is the Ballet Institute, Victoria?" Bruce looked up from his plate and rested his eyes on me. His plate, unlike mine, was always stuffed with a ton of food. He had a turkey leg, some vegetables, a salad, a slice of bread, a side fruit bowl, and a glass of water. I never ate as much as the other boys who I shared the house with.

"Fine." Shifting back to the clock on the wall, I almost wanted to sway with the ticking of it.

"When do classes officially start?"

"Next month, when it starts getting cold, I guess."

"Hey, Bruce, you should tell Vicky about the yearly charity ball!" Tim suggested, stuffing a glob of mashed potatoes in his mouth. "The Wayne Family always goes."

"That's true, and I expect you to attend, Victoria." Bruce hissed the word out, snapping my attention back to the conversation. He smiled when I met his eyes. I rolled mine.

"Every year, Wayne Enterprises hosts a Charity Ball to raise money for the city. It's covered in reporters from all over the state, so it's very important that not a single person in this house is missing. And, since you are in league with my family, I have decided to make it public that you are joining the company," Bruce explained, "so dress your finest and be on your best behavior." I flicked a sinister glare at him, but he kept his stern expression. Dick looked between us and chuckled.

"I don't think they have the same definition of 'best behavior'," Dick whispered across the table to Tim, who snickered.

"Alright. I'll become some rich, snotty, stuck-up ballerina who works for Bruce Wayne and who is kind and cheery with a bell laugh," I mocked, "oh and also talk about how much I love the small, baby creatures of the woodland forest and little tiny baby socks!" Bruce shot me a glare.

"Good idea!" Dick shouted.

"That would be a girl Dick could finally beat in a fight!" Tim fired back. Dick flicked a bread roll at Tim, hitting him square in the forehead. With one flick of his wrist, Tim sent an apple straight at Dick, successfully hitting him in the chest.

"Boys, stop." Alfred picked up the stray food the two had launched at each other.

"All I'm saying it prove to Gotham City that you are not Nightingale, the crime fighter." Bruce stood up from his seat just as the clock chimed. Eight o' clock! Finally!

I ripped off the clothes I had worn to work that day and shimmied into my Nightingale uniform. I grabbed my mask off my night stand and loaded my weapons into the rightful place. I called out a good bye and raced out into the night with my motorcycle. I had recently painted it red -- my favorite color -- with white streaks that matched my sashes on my costume.

My computer reminded me that I already had set a target. Even though the missions was to get close to the main Mafia family, I could still take down people within the gang. A house divided cannot stand. So, I was taking out the high positioning people. The one's traded with other gangs, manufactured the Sharkies, controlled the money, and the one's who kept the other members in check. If I could cut off a couple of Sharkie shipments, then the system would completely fail and the Black Sharks as a group would start getting anxious.

The truck was heading towards Bludhaven. I watched it drive, hidden in the shadows from a tall skyscraper. I swung down and landed on my bike, zooming ahead after the van. The road was busy with cars, so the van wouldn't be able to hear the sound of my bike's engine as I crept closer.