Chapter Forty Three

-Dick's POV-

The next day at the Watchtower, I arrived earlier than everyone else. Of course the ones who lived in the Watchtower -- Connor and M'gann -- and our team leader had gotten there earlier. I was happy to be there early too. The air around me seemed energetic and I had no idea why.

I stepped out of the zeta-tube, rubbing my eyes and running my fingers through my messy hair. I was still tired. I had barely gotten any sleep last night. It wasn't the first night I had not been able to sleep. Even though Victoria had accepted my affections, I still felt like something was off. She seemed a bit distant since she and Joker talked. The thought of them together still made me furious, but I had to convince myself Victoria could take care of herself. She was different from most of the girls I dated. If I tried to help or protect her, she would retaliate by putting herself in even more danger. Barbara was really the only girl who I knew that was like that. I had no idea why they weren't close, since the comparison was so obvious.

The sound of the zeta-tube being used caused me to turn around. "Tigress, B07. Kid Flash, B03," the computer explained. I was confused for a split second. When Artemis stepped out with a familiar red headed boy on her arm, I nearly screamed like a little girl.

"Wally, welcome back!" I said, trying to be nonchalant. Wally smiled and left Artemis. He stood in front of me. He wasn't in a costume, but then again, Bart was wearing his. We both stared at each other before I gave in. I hugged him.

"Alright, Dick. I have a girlfriend," Wally chuckled. We both dropped our arms. Artemis held a yellow and red uniform. She wiggled it around. With a flash, Wally changed into the costume. I guessed Artemis had taken the costume from the case it was placed in down in the dedication hall.

"This is awkward. One of us will have to change," Bart said, coming in from the zeta-tubes quickly. He quickly hugged his cousin. When Wally 'died' Bart reached just above Wally's waist. Now, Bart was up to his shoulders. Wally was very surprised of how much taller the smaller flash was.

"You've gotten bigger." Wally rubbed Bart's head.

"I'm glad you're back."

"Me too, kid," Wally smiled, "do you mind being Impulse again?"

Bart darted away and came back in his old white and red costume. "Not at all. Believe it or not, your costume was a bit tight down south," he smirked. Wally's smile dropped and the two began chasing each other around the tower. I laughed along with the rest of my friends. We were all crying with laughter when Wally got Bart on the floor.

"What's going on?" Victoria asked, standing in front of the zeta-tubes. Her hand was on her hip, her eyebrow raised. She cracked a small smile when she saw how happy Artemis looked. I couldn't help but smile myself.

"Wally's back," Artemis told Victoria, although her eyes were lost deeply in Wally's. With a fast, graceful movement, Wally was holding Artemis. Her hands were in his hair and his were wandering along her hips. Victoria chuckled a bit before making her way towards the mission computers.

Before she even reached where Aqualad stood, I darted over and pulled her into me. Her feet left the floor as I spun her around in a broad circle. Dipping my head, I kissed her. I smiled against her lips, realizing we mirrored the couple opposite of us.

"Dick, what the hell!?" Victoria quietly yelled against my lips, "what do you think you're doing? Ever heard of keeping a secret?" Her teeth came down on my bottom lip, causing me to jerk back. I ran my finger against where she had bitten me. A small stream of blood coated my fingertip.

"You bit me," I said to her, "why did you do that?"

"Instinct."

"Oh, you're in trouble now." When I met her gaze again, she ran off. I chased her across the mission room until she unlocked the door and got to the main hall. I flipped up into the air, landing right in front of her. I reached out but she ducked underneath me and zig-zagged towards another door. She got safely inside the elevator to the rafters above the main hall.