Chapter 20:The Driver

The wind blew calmly as I walked down the streets of New York. I was taking a break from all the wedding things and just walking around, stopping whenever I felt like it.

I glanced down at the ring on my finger. I smiled. It wasn't that long ago that Karmen and I first came here. Everything happened so fast. I laughed to myself. I still remember when Karmen and I had a snowball fight with the maids and butlers. And when we swung from Gatsby's chandelier. AND when we crashed Gatsby's golf cart on Karmen's birthday.

Wow, I thought to myself, I'm surprised we never ended up in a hospital.

I continued to walk. Shortly, I spotted a cute little toy store. I would have went inside, but I saw someone was standing outside the window.

The person was dressed lavishly, with pearls, fur, you know what I mean. Her blonde bob was neatly done. Basically, she looked like she just came off the cover of a magazine.

You guessed it. It was Daisy.

She was looking outside the toy store window with a sad smile, like she was reminiscing.

I stood and looked at her. I knew she had a daughter. Maybe she was thinking about her.....

As I began to walk past her, she suddenly turned around.

She stared at me, briefly shocked. She then scoffed.

"Why am I not surprised...." she whispered to herself. I stayed silent.

She glanced down at my hand.

"It's Nick, isn't it?" I nodded, figuring she was talking about the ring.

"I knew he would do that...." she yet again whispered to herself.

Silence filled the air as we just stared at eachother. No words uttered at all.

"Was it you or Tom?" I finally spoke. She looked at me confused.

"That night. Was it you or Tom?" I asked again.

Her eyes slighly widened.

"I'm guessing it was you. Tom seems like he could care less, in my opinion."

Daisy simply nodded once.

"I figured." I said in return. I then began to walk past her.

"It doesn't matter anymore. It's in the past. We don't even talk about it, or worry. You shouldn't worry about it either." I said.

I was a little ways ahead of her when I turned slightly.

"I won't tell."

After saying that, I continued down the sidewalk, leaving Daisy outside the toy store.
_______________________________________________________________________

I came back to Gatsby's tired from walking. I went to the living room and collapsed face down on the couch. I laid there for a couple of minutes until I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

The footsteps came closer and closer until they stopped directly in front of me. I didn't even turn to see who it was.

"What are you doing?" I could hear the amusement in the person's voice as they asked this.

"Tired." I incoherently muffled out through the couch cushions.

"What?" the person asked.

I grudgingly turned and faced the voice.

My eyes met a pair of blues ones that always left me lost for words.

"I said tired."

Nick lightly laughed. "Why are you tired?"

"Because I've been walking all dayyyyyyyy." I dragged out as I turned back over and put my face on the cushion.

Nick's chuckle fillled my ears as I felt myself slowly being lifted up and sat back down.

I looked up and found myself curled up on Nick's lap.

I didn't complain and layed my head on his arm, slowly drifting off minutes later.
***************************************************************

Mystery solved. :P outfit at the top! ^_^

~kelso~