Chapter 1 - My Real Brother

Zara's P.O.V

As I flicked through all of the music channels, I stopped at a song: 'Live While We're Young' by One Direction. As the video was playing, I tried to see the resemblance between me and Zayn Malik. We had the same skin and eye colour. That seemed to be it. We didn't really look the same. I tried to remember my childhood, to see if I had any memories at all of playing with my older brother. No, nothing.

One Hour Before

As usual, we had our dinner in silence. We were allowed to talk, but we never had anything interesting to talk about, so instead of trying to make a short conversation, we just ate in silence. I stared at my older brother, Ibrahim, while he ate, to see if he had a story to tell that night; he just looked guilty.

"Zara, we have something to tell you," started Dad, while he swallowed a spoonful of rice.

"What is it, Dad?" I questioned, curious. Usually, whenever there was a conversation at the dinner table, it was about something urgent, like a family member who had died. I looked around the whole table to see if that was the case. No, Mum, Dad and Ibrahim, who seemed to be smiling, were all here.

"Well, we have been hiding a very big secret from you, for ten years, in fact," continued Mum. This was weird, what could they possibly be hiding from me for ten years?

Suddenly, Ibrahim rose from his seat and exited the dining room.

Ibrahim's P.O.V

From the corner of my eye, I could see that Zara was looking at me. Her large, golden eyes stared at me, as if she wanted an answer. However, she didn't know about her past, so what kind of an answer was she looking for? Whenever I feel guilty, I always think of the possible outcomes to things. It's a habit that I can't control, or stop. I guess it's quite good, seeing as I was always prepared.

After, a long, dreadful silence, Dad broke the ice, "Zara, we have something to tell you."

I smiled to myself when I saw Zara looking across the table, to see if everyone was here. I knew why she did this. She wanted to see if anyone was absent. 

While she did this, she asked, "What is it, Dad?"

Weirdly, Mum answered, "Well, we have been hiding a very big secret from you, for ten years, in fact." I knew what was coming.

I didn't want to sit there; to see the reaction on Zara's face. I got up from my seat and went to my bedroom, without telling Zara why.