•thirty-two

She was the first one to pull out of the kiss. Once her lips were off mine she turned and looked straight at the field. I sat there looking at the side of her head. That kiss was something else.

Whenever Josh came back Maya wrapped her arm around him and didn't leave his side. She wouldn't make any type of eye contact with me.

Once the game was over everyone started walking back to their cars. I thought Maya was following behind me, because originally I was going to take her home. When I turned around she was standing behind with Josh.

Her eyes flickered up at mine and once she saw me looking at her she looked away.

I looked over at Farkle and he was smirking right at me.

"I'm going to take Riley home, but I'll see you at home," Farkle said to Maya.

"See you later man," I waved goodbye.

Farkle waved goodbye, but not without giving me another smirk.

"Josh can you give me a ride home?"
Maya asked.

"I wish, but I have to go stop at the sporting store to buy a new bat. Missy broke mine while we were practicing the other day," Josh said.

I bet he was having fun working with Missy.

I was pretending to want to be partners with her whenever I was first assigned to Maya. I would have rather worked with anyone else besides Missy.

She sighed, "Okay. Then I guess I'll text you later."

"Wasn't that bat like two hundred dollars?" I asked.

"Don't remind me," Josh winced, "Missy was practicing really close to a brick wall and let's just was there was a loud bang."

"That sucks."

"Tell me about it. I hit my first home run with that bat."

The first time I hit a home run was when I was ten. It was my first year playing baseball on a real time. My mom kept yelling my name as I went up to bat and I thought I was going to miss. It took me a minute to realize that I got a home run.

Maya walked over to Josh and gave him a hug. Before they could start making out in front of my face I got into the car. I put my seatbelt on and adjusted my mirrors. Lucky for me the mirror landed right on the making out.

My palms started to get sweaty and I felt my cheeks heat up. I didn't want to see them make out, but for some reason I couldn't look away. Seeing her kiss Josh made my stomach turn.

-

Maya was quite as I drove home. I tried talking to her at first, but she stopped me by putting on the radio. After that I couldn't work up the nerve to say anything to her.

God was this how it was going to be between us from now on. It was one kiss. To be fair it was almost like a make out session, but it only lasted for a few seconds. And it wasn't like we just randomly started kissing, we were forced to do it.

I cleared my throat, "What time do you want to practice tomorrow?"

"After four. We can go to the park by my house."

"Isn't that you and Josh's park?"

"We don't own the park."

"Well you sure do spend a lot of time there. What do you guys even do there? Do you just make out the whole time?"

"That's none of your business and no we do make out the whole time. Why do you care anyway?"

"I don't care. Whatever. Just come over to my house and we can practice in my backyard."

"I thought your mom didn't like it when you practiced in the backyard."

"She'll make an exception for you."

My mom loved Maya. Everyone loved Maya.

I pulled into her driveway and she started getting out of the car.

"Oh one more thing," I said.

Maya sighed, "What is it?"

"Am I a better kisser than Josh?"

I couldn't resist. I had to make things go back to normal.

"In your dreams," She yelled, shutting the car door.

I was definitely a better kisser than Josh was.

-

If you couldn't already tell this chapter was in Lucas' POV.

Sorry that I haven't updated this story in forever. I'm not going to make up an excuses because I should have found some other way to update the story. My goal is to have this story finished by Christmas. That may seem like a long time away but that is only because there are still a bunch of chapters left.