Chapter 23

~~~ Sophia ~~~

I checked my phone for the last time as Liam's car pulled to the front of the STAR agency. Not one call from Lenna or her mom. Not a text, and her doctor's appointment was yesterday. Liam's hand was in mine the whole drive, and it was my first day back since my mini vacation. I was about fifteen minutes early, so we were sitting in the car together.

"She'll call you back. She's probably just sleeping. It's pretty early," Liam suggested. I nodded not believing what he was saying. She would have called, or she would have had her mom call. Something wasn't right. "Want to go out for Denny's after work? I saw one along the way here. Didn't seem too crowded," 

I agreed and kissed him quickly on the lips before leaving the car. It seemed only a few moments later I was inside the cool air-conditioned building.

I said hello to the girl behind the counter, and she ran out from behind the counter to stop me from going to the modeling wing. "Wait Sophia! How are you? Wait. Hold up Ms. Harris. Mr. Star would like a word with you himself. His office is right this way," she said guiding me to a room that was up the elevator. The elevator led to a magnificent foyer, and on the end of the room, there were two black oak doors. She walked me over to the double doors before briskly walking away without saying a word. I took a deep breath with my heart pounding so hard I felt it in my ears. I quickly walked into the room before I could rethink it.

A man sat at his black desk in his plain white office staring directly at me like he suspected I would be there at the exact same time. I had never seen this man, yet he somehow seemed familiar. I pushed that thought to the back of my mind as fear conquered all my senses. Why was I afraid? 

He smiled a pointed smile and gestured to a seat parallel to his desk. I sat down without a word, and he sat forward. "So. Mrs. Harris. Can I call you Sophia?" I nodded, and he continued as if he couldn't sense the fear pouring from my body. He slid over five pictures across the table, and crossed his hands over the desk. They were all from different times, and my eyes blurred. It was only when they refocused did the real panic and questions sink in. On all the photos were Liam and me: one from the day in the coffee shop, another from our first day together after the hike, the viral picture of us at the beach, and lastly the one of us at the airport. I knew there that some of them were be taken, but the day we hiked was ours, secluded from the outside world. The last one to the far right didn't have Liam though; it was of Luke and me when we were still together without any problems.

"We've been following you and your little pop star companion around. We see you seem to have your eye on another gentleman. named Luke." He said it as if it was a question. His eyebrows perked up at his question. The longer I was in his presence, the longer I was convinced I knew him, or I should know him.

"That picture was taken a long time ago. We were dating at the time. We broke up. Luke and I. I don't see how that's any of your business," I explained with reasoning.

He shook his head. And gave a chuckle. "That's where you're wrong. You are my business. As part of my company, you are part of my business. And I wouldn't talk back little miss. I have an offer to make you, but if you don't want to even hear it, you can leave and never come back."

Curiosity took over me. "I'm listening."

"I'm willing to give you a job in Florida for when you arrive there on one condition," he teased. Confusion set in. What is he doing? "As far as I understand, you and this Liam aren't an item. It's just a phase." I felt my jaw set, and I was fully prepared to stand up and leave, but that would mean leaving the only opportunity I've ever truly had go. It was true though. We weren't an official thing. 

"I wouldn't say it like that," I countered.

"Then what is it? Have either one of you asked the other out on a date?" When I didn't respond, he said triumphantly, "Exactly. So what I'm offering isn't really a fair deal on my part. I will give you a job modeling in Florida near the college of your choice if," he stood up and starting towards me with an accessory from his bookshelf. It was a stroll, but the closer he came, the more my skin raised into goosebumps. "You simply have to stop your little fling with that pop star. Trust me he's more trouble than he's worth."

My heart sank at the thought of leaving Liam. No. I couldn't. I won't. I opened my mouth despite the cold chill I felt when he spoke smoothly, "Before you go and reject my offer, Let me bring up the pictures. No one of the media has seen the one of you and Luke. I'm sure lover boy hasn't either. I could have this picture everywhere by tomorrow morning. Which one would be more hurtful for him? Seeing this photo or stopping something that never even happened? That is assuming he would be hurting. He probably wouldn't even care." He sat down at his desk again. He never broke contact with my eyes, and I couldn't look away. Something about his eyes were captivating yet sent horror throughout my body. Not to mention familiar. 

"He's a pop star for goodness sake. Do you think he will stay on you? You're just a girl to him. Even if he cares about you, he will just brush it off. You'll go off to college while he goes back on tour. Everything will be how it once was. So... what's it going to be?" I swallowed a lump in my throat. I didn't want to think of this now. I had always had this at the back of my mind. I knew once I went off to college and he started tour again, things would be different. Maybe this might be a good thing after all. But letting go of him forever seemed impossible.

"I need time to think it over," I confirmed. I needed to tell Lenna. I couldn't tell Liam. I needed Lenna here now. 

"Understood. It's Monday. If you accept, come in Wednesday. If you decline, for your stupid reasons, don't bother coming in. You're dismissed." With the wave of his hand, I got up and started for the door stopped at the sound of his chilling voice. "Don't tell anyone of our discussion, or all bets are off. Not even that girl Lenna. How is she?" 

"Don't talk about Lenna," I firmly scolded. 

"You seem really connected to her. How long?"

I walked out of the double doors as fast as I could, and I flew toward the elevator. I needed my space for the night. I made it to my car, and I started driving to a place I never would have thought of going to consciously. I parked outside the house and made my way to the front door unsure of how to form my words.