Chapter 30

~~~ Lenna ~~~

I heard a loud noise, and immediately sprung up from my sleepy state. My heartbeat was exhilarated, and I was convinced I was about to be murdered.

"Shit!" A familiar voice whispered.

I rubbed my eyes and waited for my eyes to refocus as I sarcastically decided a murderer would have already killed me by now. Besides, I knew the voice of this "intruder." My eyes finally adjusted to the dim light from outside as I looked at Sophia. "Sophia? What in the world? I'm going back to sleep." I flung myself back onto my bed and lifted the covers above my head. Too. early. My grip on the blanket was interrupted when it was thrown back from my reach exposing my body. "Not fair Sophia."

"How'd you know it was me? I could have been a psycho killer," Sophia said as she fumbled across the bed to sit across from me.

"Even psycho killers aren't up this early. Go to sleep. Whatever it is, I don't care enough. I'm too tired." I tried to lie down, but a hand grabbed my arm and yanked me up into a sitting position.

"Lenna. I have to talk to you. It's important," Sophia demanded as she crossed my room and turned on the wretched light. My eyes immediately burned, and I quickly shut them closed. "Besides, it's not even that early."

"Are you serious? It's like the middle of the night!" I could feel myself drifting away from the possibility of sleep, and I was in no way okay with that. I stayed sitting up despite my need to go back to sleep.

Sophia sat back down next to me on my bed. She looked like she was about to either cry or scream or both. The last drop of sleep left my body as I observed her face. I pondered over what could have made her so upset when her voice interrupted my train of thought, "Can we go back to my house or something? I can explain along the way. I just really need to talk to you, and--"

"You don't need to explain anything... yet. Meet you in your car in five."

Ten minutes later, I opened the door to Sophia's hunk-of-junk. As she constantly reminded me I took more than five minutes to which I replied, "If you didn't wake me up at a Godforsaken time, then I could be ready on time."

*****

By the time we got to Sophia's house, she had told a somewhat complete yet brief story on everything whether I had to hold back the urge to call Harry and have him call Liam and ask what in the world he was thinking.

"Wait a minute, Mr. Star is Luke's dad?" We were both sitting in the car as I fought back sleep to comfort my best friend. She's been there for me through so much, but I've only had a few hours of sleep. 

"Yep. I bet it's the only reason I was up for that stupid job in the first place."

I opened the door and hobbled out of the car as Sophia followed me. I walked down the path to the front door when I saw him waiting with his back against the wall.

~~~ Sophia ~~~

For a tired teenage girl, Lenna sure is fast, I think to myself as I struggle to keep up with her. She went up the curved path for my front door, and I sped up to ensure she wasn't by herself for long. All of sudden, she popped up from behind the corner, grabbed my hand, and pulled me faster to my front door. I was questioning her intentions when I looked at my door to see Liam sitting on my steps. Lenna!

I yanked my arm from her grip and turned back to see Lenna smiling. What in the world? I glanced back to Liam who was talking but I couldn't hear any words. I stormed to my door, and quickly opened it. As I attempted to slam the front door closed, a hand held it back with a strong grip.