Chapter 24

After knocking on the door repetitively, the door opened, and I threw myself into a hug. I needed to tell someone, and I couldn't go to Lenna in case she was sleeping or in need of it, so I went to my only other option. I felt tears slip down from my eyes onto the shirt snuggled to my face. I let out a sob as he played with my hair with one hand while the other hand rested on the small of my back. 

"What's wrong Soph?" Luke asked curious yet genuinely. I tried pulling away from him to look at him, but he picked me up bridal style to his room. I hung onto him with my arms around his neck as he set me down gentle on his comforter. "Soph, what's wrong?"

I explained it in detail to him everything that happened, not leaving out the picture of us, and an expression flashed on his face. I couldn't read it even after it disappeared a second later. His face cleared and a new expression of understanding and empathy surfaced. "I don't want to say goodbye, but it might be for the better. What's going to happen when I go off to college and he goes back on tour? It's going to happen anyways. But I can't just leave him," I said to Luke trying to convince myself.

He cursed under his breath, and I finally managed to stop sobbing and crying out. I was playing with the end of the blanket even as I was fully aware of his eyes on me. He spoke up. "I get it. You might think I'm some big bad monster with no heart, but I get it. You think you should do what's best for the other person." He looked away towards the ground finding a spot that seemed to have him fascinated. "I know that because I had to deal with that feeling when I saw the way you looked at him."

I tore my attention to Luke, who was biting his bottom lip. I remember when I thought that was my weakness, but I found my new kryptonite. I kissed his cheek and got up. "You're a great friend you know?" 

"Yeah... Friend," he whispered as he led me to the door. 

"I still don't know what to do. Hey. Is it okay if I come here tomorrow to hang out. Lenna's sick, and you know Liam with this whole thing going on..." I asked unsure of what he would say. Forever deem me a bitch for going to my ex-boyfriend for my boy troubles, but I needed a familiar shoulder that wouldn't judge.

"See you tomorrow, Soph," he spoke opening the door which I took as my cue to leave. I nodded at him and left for my car only to return the next day.

In the car ride home, I called Lenna to make sure she was okay when she didn't answer. I decided to drop by her house with a bowl of Bernie's chicken noodle soup. I arrived at her house within ten minutes and parked my car on the curb outside her house.

Juggling the soup in my left hand and my purse and keys in the other, I rang the doorbell. My eyes were greeted by Lenna's mom standing happily in front of me. Her smile lit up her face and made her finally look as young as she truly was. "Hey Sophia! Haven't seen you in a while! Come on in!"

I handed her the soup and made my way to Lenna's room. My arm was jerked back, and I found the owner of the arm  pulling me back was my second mom's. "You know I've been meaning to talk to you for a while."

"Oh! I know! I'm sorry! It's been kind of busy for me lately! So what is it?" I asked with curiosity finally setting in hard.

"That's the thing! I was going to tell you about how the doctor's predicted she would stop responding to her treatment, but we went to the doctor yesterday, and they say if she keeps fighting the way she has been recently, there won't be a need for treatment in a few months!" Overwhelming joy spread through me. I had never seen her so happy, and my urge to run into Lenna's room and hug her grew greater and greater. Lenna has been through so much pain and sorrow these past few months, but things were looking up. I squealed and hugged her before darting to Lenna's bedroom.

She was sitting at her desk on her laptop before she stood up and ran to me. I held her in my arms, and I could already picture us years from now with her cancer-free self and me shopping for a wedding or baby shower or gossiping over a proposal. I could see us together as best friends until we die. These past few months, it was cloudy, but now I could finally see it.

"How's my little warrior?" I asked Lenna.

"So you heard the news?" she said proudly. I could see the already dominance in her eyes. If she was strong before cancer, her strength has increased over one hundred fold since she's been diagnosed.

"Yes! That's great Lenna! Fantastic! Amazing! We need to go out and celebrate! Immediately if possible!" I insisted.

"No eating out. The healthier I am the better. I could use some fruit though," she said as if she were bragging over some new shoes. Confidence.

"Come on grandma. Time to go fruit shopping," I joked with her.

She laughed before quieting down yet not able to contain her smile as she whispered for only me to hear, "It's surprising great to hear I'll be a grandma one day. I've never been so happy to think about being old one day."

I hugged her once more before we walked out to my car to go get some fruit. 

"Luke! Stop it! Let me down!" I shouted with giggles as I kicked and flailed over his shoulder.

"Nope! Not until you calm down! Soph! Soph!" Luke screamed as I wiggled from his grip falling onto the  cold, hard floor.

I laughed off the slight pain as I fumbled up into a sitting position. Luke's laugh seemed to echo off every wall in his house.

"Ow! That hurt!" I joked. He held out his hand, and I took it and stood up.

Our laughs silenced, and Luke looked at me with concerned eyes. "So what's the verdict: leave your dream boy or your dream job?"

I walked over to the double doors of Mr. Star, and he sat up in interest.

"I've made my decision."

A/N

OMG 500 READSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OKAY!!!!!! THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! HALF A THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!! OKAY!!!!! THANK YOU @Lady_Capulet FOR GETTING ME INTO WATTPAD!!!!!! IT STARTED OFF JUST TALKING ABOUT DOING THIS, AND OVER SPRING BREAK IT JUST SORT OF HAPPENED!! THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU ALSO TO @imacrazymofox FOR YOUR ENDLESS SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! YOUR COMMENTS MAKE MY DAY!!!!

WOW! OKAY! I'M GOING TO LEAVE BEFORE SOMEONE SKINS ME BYE!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~ MORGAN