Chapter 33

~~~ Liam ~~~

"Can you please just leave? I'm not in the mood to talk to you right now." I didn't want to be snappy, but here she was trying to talk to me about things I don't want to discuss.

Danielle moved over to the counter I was leaning against. I looked down as she held my hands. I was already being rude for asking her to leave, and I didn't have enough energy to explain everything that didn't need to be touched upon. "Oh come on, Liam. We have to talk about it sometime. Regardless of whether we get back together or not we should talk about your 'little fling' with that girl from the party."

At that point, I ripped my hands from hers and sat down on the couch, head in hands. "Danielle, just leave," I warned. I was not in the mood and going off on Danielle wouldn't help anything.

"Liam, I'm trying to--" My cell phone on the counter rang to which Danielle quickly answered. I stood up to take it from her hands like a child reaching for his or her favorite toy, but Danielle was faster. She was fast-walking away from me in a matter of seconds. For a split second I hoped it would be Sophia saying she chose me, and I her, but then I remember how upset she looked when I talked to her, and the feeling of relief subsided. "Hello?" Danielle said questioningly. "You there?" She pulled the phone away from her ear and sat in on the table."Probably just some obsessed fan. Liam, I think--"

"I think it's time to leave Danielle. Please... just leave," I begged in my calmest tone I could muster. She sighed before walking right out the door shutting it behind her. I collapsed onto the couch with only one thing in mind--or should I say one person.

~~~ Sophia ~~~

I arrived at the hospital, and with much persuasion and insisting I am, in fact, Lenna's immediate family, I finally stepped foot in Lenna's room. The room was like a blank canvas, white everywhere. The air felt colder than the rest of the hospital, and I couldn't shake the feeling that guilt was the thing plummeting the temperature. If it wasn't for me, she wouldn't be at the hospital. She'd be at my house, and we would both be sleeping until noon. Hunched over her bed was her mom. As I took my first steps into the echoing room, her mom turned to look at me. "I told you not to come."

I sat down next to her, but my eyes were fixed on Lenna. "She's my best friend. Of course I would come. Even if I was the one who put her in the hospital in the first place." I could feel my eyes unfocus as tears and regret began to flood my face.

There was a long moment of silence before she said, "In some way it helped her. She is resting now, but when she was conscious she told the doctors and me the story. She was walking home when someone offered her a ride. She fainted in the car, and when she woke up, she was here." She gave an effort at laughter before she added with slight amusement, "Can you imagine talking to some teenager you picked up from the streets when all of a sudden she faints in your car?" I turned my head to look at my second mom on the verge of crying. In some ways, she was more of a mother to me than my own, yet here I am causing her pain. She cleared her throat before continuing. "Anyways, the doctors came in a while ago to say that fainting and vomiting and other symptoms that have arised are bad signs. They are running more tests now, but... it's not looking good."

My whole body felt numb. Not Lenna. Not Lenna. "Great. I let my friend walk home, and now she's ..."

"Vomiting is expected during treatment. The fainting brought out other symptoms that didn't fit. She would still be in the same condition just... we wouldn't have known about any of it."

I felt like I was crumbling in on myself. As if my rock I depended on collapsed, and now I'm left to pick up the pieces. "How long do the doctors--" I couldn't finish my sentence. Lenna. My best friend in a hospital bed dying while I decide between my dream job or dream boy. Life is pretty messed up. If I could trade lives and scenarios with her I would in a heartbeat, but the fact of the matter is I can't stop anything. I don't have control over anything that matters most. Lenna is withering away before my eyes, and I can't do anything but watch. If this is my punishment for all the shit I've done, what did Lenna do to deserve this? Her mom?

"Up to a year. They said they doubt it will... get that far. There's always a glimmer of hope right?" I couldn't take it anymore. Tears were coating my vision as I stumbled to the door. I need to leave. I can't just sit here. In my head, I kept telling myself that this girl is not Lenna, my best friend. Not my best friend. My best friend is at my house eating fruit or watching her favorite TV show as she waits for me to get back. Lenna is strong. Lenna will survive. She has to survive.

I made it to my car without breaking down, but as I got inside my car and slammed it shut, I did just that. I cried until my face was raw and no doubt red before deciding driving wouldn't be the best idea. My mom was no doubt at work, so I decided calling Liam was my only option. Praying he would answer, not some girl, I called him.

"Hello? Sophia? Are you okay?" Liam. Liam answered.

I sighed in relief before my stomach knotted reminding me of why I called him. "No actually. I'm not. Can you pick me up from the hospital? Lenna... I don't think driving would be the best right now."

"Um actually we are at a meet and greet promotional thing right now. Hold on." Of course he's busy. He's a pop star. Somehow the thought he could be busy never occurred to me, but yet again I never doubted Lenna wouldn't grow old with me. Stop that!  "Sophia. I'll be there soon. I'm going to have the boys cover for me until I get back." I gave him the address and a rough location of where in the parking lot I was at before I was left alone with my thoughts and regrets. Running over the pink ribbon tied around my wrist and looking at the ribbon in my hair, I couldn't help but sob. How could something go from hope to hopeless so fast? Right then and there I vowed to myself I wouldn't give up on Lenna... no matter what.

A/N
It is winter break!!!! I had finals right before then, but now that that's over, I can focus on this and books I need to read!!! YAYYYY!!!!! I'll be updating before next Sunday probably, watch out for that!!!