Chapter 29

I woke up the next morning a little groggy. My alarm sounded, and I was in no mood to get up. After several attempts, I managed to get up and drag myself to my closet. I quickly got dressed, grabbing my glasses and phone in my rush to get over to Luke's house for the papers. It's weird to think that a few weeks ago I would be heading over to his house to spend time with him. I was currently hurrying off to yell at him a little and demand for my papers back.

On my way to the front door, I crept my mom's bedroom door open just enough to stick my head through the threshold. It was almost five forty a.m. and within one hour, she will be out the door and onto the boring routine that is her life. I've tried to convince her countless times to ease up on her work, but she refuses. Her work is aging her, but nothing has been the same since my dad left us. We all cope in different ways. Though she denied it, she drained all her sorrow away from working. I try to forget.

Quietly reminding myself of the need to get home before she goes to work, I cautiously close the door behind me. Taking a quick look in the mirror as always, I notice the pink ribbon attached to my wrist. I mentally make a note to call Lenna when I get home.

Within minutes I am at Luke's house contemplating what I am going to say or do. With a few deep breaths to relieve my nerves, I knock on his front door with force. No going back now.

After a few seconds of not even a shuffle from the other side of the door, I knock again louder and longer until my knuckles feel like they are going to shatter. Still no answer. I start to look around for a spare key that may or may not exist when he finally answers the door.

As the door effortlessly opened, a familiar voice said, "Do you mind?" I looked up to see an annoyed expression on Luke's face.

"Aren't you going to let me in?" I ask with my hands on my hips. Seeing him reminds me of all the anger and hurt and unresolved issues I have. My annoyance level goes up several notches as he doesn't budge from the center of the threshold.

"Not with that attitude. Why are you up so early? Even I am supposed to be sleeping. Thanks for the wake up call by the way. Much appreciated," he sarcastically said with a smirk on his face.

"Nevermind. I don't want to come in anymore. Just give me my contract, and I'll leave."

He shifted his weight with an interested expression on his face. He's turned into such an asshole; I am questioning whether he had transformed into an asshole or his sarcastic and narcissistic nature was always there before.

"Sorry to burst your bubble princess, but I don't have your papers," he said putting his hands up to me to try to prove his innocence. It wasn't working.

"I had them on my coffee table when you 'came over,' and now they're gone. I need them for my deadline. Cut the crap, and just give me my papers," I spit at him.

I recognized his expression of confused and cocky to sly and cocky, and he beckoned for me to come inside his house. "Those stupid papers? Come on in. You didn't think I would just give them to you did you? So how's Liam by the way?"

"Shut up and keep those stupid papers for all I care. I'd rather lose this deal than talk to you for three more seconds." I didn't mean it; those papers were the only thing I truly had besides Lenna. I gave up my friendship with Liam for them. I couldn't have him call my bluff, so I began to storm off to my car as he jogged in front of me and blocked my path.

I tried to get around him, but he kept moving into my path. "Soph. I'm sorry. Come inside for a sec. I can make you coffee or something. It's too early to be up and not want coffee."

I needed to go home to have my mom sign the papers, but if I didn't have any papers, what is the use? Without looking at him, I turned and welcomed myself into his house. I walked into his kitchen and waited for his footsteps to catch up to me. Leaning against his counter, I looked around the room to see mail scattered across the table and dirty dishes everywhere. How is his whole family so unorganized?

He walked into the room and started to boil water in a kettle. After doing so, he turned to face me and leaned against the counter like I was.

"Not big on dishes I see," I said gesturing to the dishes in the sink after an uncomfortable silence.

"Not big on dating guys that actually like you I see." With that, he turned around to focus on the kettle now starting to hiss. It took all my might to not strangle him or cuss him out as I turned away and began to bestow order to the mail. "I'm going to brush my teeth really quickly. Wasn't expected a hot girl to come banging on my door while I was trying to sleep."

Before I could roll my eyes or say something that would for sure eliminate my chances of getting my papers, he jogged out of the kitchen and up his stairs. I redirected my attention to the stack of mail I was reorganizing. Luke Star, I said to myself as Iread off an envelope with his name scribbled across the front.

Wait. I flipped through the stack of envelopes as my eyes skimmed through the last names. Star. Star. Star. Star.

I dropped the mail on the table and walked backwards into a body. "What are you doing?"

Startled, I turned around to face him. He gave me a questioning look as I backed away. "You're his son."

"Soph, what are you talking about? Speak English, please."

How did he not know what I was talking about? Finally able to connect the dots, I realized that's what Megan must have meant. This is why she said to research everything and Mr. Star, so I would see the connection between father and son, yet I was nothing but mean to her. She was just trying to protect me, and there I was yelling at her. Another person I have to apologize to.

"Your dad is Mr. Star. That's why I was even considered for this job or internship, right? Everything has been a lie! I hope you were entertained!" I was running towards the door before I could process what was happening. I deserve an explanation, but I need a moment to think first. 

"Soph! Soph!"

I kept running to my car before driving to Lenna's house. She would know what to do. She always does. Besides, I've kept her in the dark of what was happening for these past few weeks, and if one more thing changes in my not so stable life, I will surely explode.