Chapter 60: Balance

In the mention of repaying a debt, the class president first thought of a kiss.

Just an innocent, simple chaste kiss on the cheek - maybe even the lips if he dares. He felt that a date would only succumb him into a deep abyss of hopeless love. Eventually, he knows, that she'll leave for college. It would be no point to turn a teeny weeny crush into something bigger. All he wanted was a little thing to remember her by.

At least,it was him keeps convincing himself that it's just a mere crush. Sometimes he'd catch himself staring at her hair - and think about how longer hair actually suits her well. Or notice how long her eyelashes are.

It's just a crush.

"Psst. President-san," Fukui snaps her fingers inches from his eyes, "let's move to another room. It's too cold in here."

He realizes the goosebumps in his arms and nods. There's too many AC vents in this living room, he thinks.

So the two headed down the tiny hallway, arms full with textbooks and worksheets. And Fukui turns to the last door and struggled to open it with a (painful) twist of a hand on the knob.

It's definitely warmer in there, but the room has a bed and a shelves of books pressed on the walls. Fukui enters the room, drops the heavy books onto the low rise table with a relieved sigh, and settles herself on the floor.

The president stood in her doorway like he's made of stone.

Fukui quirks her eyebrows. "What?"

The president looks at her incredulously, "...This is your room."

"So?"

"I can't come in."

Fukui scrunches her nose in confusion, "Hm? Oikawa barges in here all the time, I don't see why you should give me some courtesy."

God, just hearing that ugly name gives the president a sick feeling in his stomach. He makes a disgusted face, "That's because he's your cousin."

Fukui blinks at him blankly.

"About that..." Fukui rubs the back of her neck. There's really no point in hiding now, is it? The cousin facade had survived a whole year without much suspicion.

"...Oikawa and I aren't related."

The president narrows his eyes. "What...?"

Fukui looks at him steadily. "We aren't cousins. It was an act to protect myself from...girls."

He ponders for a while, studying her and how truthful she looked. It seems unbelievable at first, a long reach for he had fallen prey to this act as well. Then, he sighs with resignation and steps into her room, settling himself on the other side of the table.

"So what's between you two, then?"

Fukui didn't look up from her book and shakes her head.

"Nothing. I don't know."

The tutor session continued without interruption after that.

-*- Oikawa -*-

Mornings in Tokyo are much noisier.

Or maybe it's because he lives in a dorm. Still groggy from sleep, he can hear the person next door talk (short one who got rid of the cricket for him). It's not that he's loud, but the rooms only provide such thin walls that anything louder than a peep will pierce through. Oikawa groans, tosses himself around and peers his eyes open to look at the clock.