Chapter 22 - Sisters

"Nicole!" The voice rang through her ears as she clutched herself tighter on the bed of her dark room, sobbing uncontrollably, and even worse when he spoke. "Nicole, where are you?"

"Go away…" She whispered, feeling more tears run down her face and hit the pillow. "Go away, I can't see you right now…"

"Nicole?" He called again, and I heard the door creak open slowly, and she dragged the sheet over herself even more, covering my face. "Nicole…" He sighed, walking quietly and slowly to her and sitting on the bed, taking her in his arms. "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

"Are you really?" She whimpered as his arms clasped tighter around her. "Are you really sorry that you murdered my sister!?"

"Nicole, please." He cut in, rubbing his hands up and down her body, soothing her. "It's not like that."

"Yes it is." She snapped back automatically, pushing herself away from him, but he had her in a pretty tight grip. "And then you tried to murder my other sister!"

"I didn't know she was your other sister!" He countered, looking back at the door and in the direction of the foyer. "I didn't know I was attacking your sister."

"You should've known." She stated, standing up and jerking herself from him, taking the sheet with her. "You should've seen the resemblance between us."

"I couldn't." He admitted, standing up, trying to take her back, but she would have none of it. "Nicole-"

"Nicole what!?" She snapped, backing up to the far side of the room. "I'm just like Calia, I married a criminal." She sobbed, thinking of her best friend. "I can't believe you murdered my sister!"

"It had to be done!" He exclaimed, but backed off after the sentence. "She tried to murder my sister, your best friend! Calia and her daughter, our niece." He tried to approach her, but her glare said otherwise. "They would both be dead if I hadn't killed her."

"She was still my sister." She shot at him. "She was still part of this family, part of my family." She raised her flat hand to her chest. "My family that can't be replaced."

"I get it, and I'm sorry." He soothed, sounding like he meant it. "I wish there was something I could've done, but there wasn't." He approached her slowly, taking only her hand. "And now you have your other sister out there in the foyer, waiting for her only living sister who she's never met." He brought her closer, pressing a soft kiss to her lips, and she didn't back off right away. "And Aqua still wants her sister."

"You're right." Nicole whispered as she backed away from him, slowly letting go of his hand before heading to the door.

"I love you." He jumped in before she stopped again, not looking back at him.

"Shut up." She ordered before heading down the stairs to find her sister.

----------

The foyer floor was cold and hard as I laid against it helplessly with blood pooling out of my body. I felt so helpless, so useless against the floor, but I was hurt. I failed my mission. What was the point?

"Aqua?" I heard Marina's voice, and I closed my eyes as I heard shoes against the stairs. "How come you haven't gotten help yet?"

"Nobody wants to help the girl who tried to murder the King." I replied as she helped me stand, covering my head with her hand, but blood got all over it.

"Oh, don't worry about it." She assured me, helping me walk and wrapping her arm around my waist. "I want to murder him too right now." She admitted in a low voice, taking me over to a side room with a bunch of white beds. "Here, sit here." She ordered, and I sat, and then laid against the comfortable surface, and I wanted to sleep. "Just rest, I'll get some food and the doctors here will clean you up." She smiled, running a hand over my face and moving it to the side. "No one's going to hurt you anymore."