Chapter 39 - Beginning of the War

I couldn't stand to wake them up to say goodbye again. I knew I was going to second-guess myself, but I couldn't. Lucille needs to pay for what she's done, and it doesn't help that I'm the one she's looking for. This has to end, once and for all.

So sneaking out the back at six in the morning was the only way I could've gotten out of it.

I put on my airy green dress and my jacket, placing the dagger I've kept for a while inside, and Dillon grabbed my hand as we made our way down the stairs and out the back. Nicole and I slipped through the bars as Dillon hopped over them, and then we were standing on the sand, looking out into the ocean.

"Okay, we all here?" Nicole asked as I nodded, rubbing my hands up my arms because it was freezing outside.

"Do you have the Magic?" Dillon asked, and she nodded, pulling out a bottle with green, glowing air. "Okay, before Danny and Molly-"

"Hey!" I heard a loud whisper, and two dark figures found their way over to us. "Think you could sneak away without saying goodbye?"

"Sorry." I apologized as I wrapped my arms around Danny for the last time, feeling one arm around my waist and one in my hair. "You'll always be my brother."

"You will always be my sister." He breathed, kissing me on the forehead.

"Okay, come on, we gotta go." Dillon stated, hurrying us up.

"Go to Hell." Danny growled, releasing me.

"See ya there." Dillon muttered, and I shot him a look as I approached Molly, who was definitely crying.

You're the only one to have learned sign language with me. She signed slowly, and then wiped the tears from her eyes. No one else is going to learn.

Yes they will. Once Gallaudet comes,  everyone will be able to talk to you. I assured her, wrapping my arms around her. You're going to get into the college and you'll succeed elsewhere.

Just don't have too much fun being a fish. She smirked as I wiped a tear from her face. I turned back towards Nicole and nodded, signaling I was ready. We stepped into the ocean together, but I turned back and waved at them one more time before diving under, seeing Nicole morph take the Magic out, splitting it between us. I breathed in deeply, running a hand over my neck, finding the small gaps that let me breath, but came up one more time, seeing them still there.

"I won't forget you!" I called and waved, diving under, following them to the Entrance.

"Okay, they've been waiting long enough." Nicole started, opening the Entrance, gesturing me to go through.

"Wait." I ordered, and they both stopped, turning towards me.

"What?" Nicole asked.

"When I was almost drowned, Lucille said "say hi to your Mom for me"." I said, replaying the moment in my head. "Did something happen?"

"Aqua…" Nicole started, approaching me. "Something bad happened while you were away."

"What?" I asked, sensing it was bad.

She took a deep breath in, but kept her eyes on me. "Mom's dead."

"What…?" I asked, feeling my eyes start to burn, but my heart was breaking into pieces. "No, she was alive a week ago, she can't be dead."

"She is." Dillon told me, but I shook my head, denying them both.

"No, you're wrong! Mom isn't dead, she can't be! I knew her for what, a day? Two days? No, no, I won't believe it, she's not dead!" I sobbed, bringing my hands up to my face. "Mom…"