Chapter 26 - Friendly Reunions

I could tell we were on Earth because of the drastic change in water temperature. I was used to it, the Pacific Ocean was where I lived the good chunk of my life. But Dillon looked like he was having a hard time, because he was slower than me and he was shivering, his teeth chattering rapidly. But then again, the Antastica waters were probably thirty degrees warmer.

"Are you cold?" I half-asked and half-laughed, but I didn't know why this was so amusing. "This water feels great!"

"To some who lived here all their life, I bet it does." He shot back, stopping me once I did. "We're close enough to swim there, right? Cause we kinda need legs to walk." He stated, and I floated there and waited, seeing him pull out a bottle with a glowing substance in it.

"Really? Did my Dad give that to you?" I teased as he opened it, holding the pure Magic in his hand.

"Yeah, but I don't exactly know how to use it…" He admitted, as he split it into two, and gave one to me. "Do you know how to work this thing?"

"No, but I've been morphed three times. I've seen it done." I replied, and his jaw dropped at me.

"You've been morphed three times?" He stammered, eyes wide in shock. "I haven't even been morphed once."

"Ha!" I laughed, holding the Magic with two hands so I couldn't drop it. "Oh my God, then you are in for a surprise."

"Why? Does it hurt?" He whimpered like a puppy, which was both so cute and pathetic. I nodded back, making him freeze for a second, not doing anything.

"Yeah, but it's only for a second." I assured him, swimming to him and taking his Magic as well, holding it above his head and letting it wash over him. His whole body sparkled as it was being transformed, his dark red tail turning into muscular tanned legs to match his skin, with red board shorts with black Hawaiian flower details, and I didn't mean to stare, but he was still shirtless. I must've had googly eyes by this point.

He swam to the top and breathed, his gills gone and he could only breathe up in the air now. I smiled as I let the Magic I had wash over me, doing the exact same thing to me, but I was wearing something more covering. The airy dress was heavy though, and I took in a deep breath once I got to the surface. We were both human now, which meant I had to go face Sacury, who probably had nobody searching for me since I was an orphan. Except Danny, and Molly, and the whole cast of Into the Woods. But nobody else gives a damn.

We swam to shore easily, and it was now night. Nobody was there was we picked ourselves up from the ocean and trudged onto land, seeing everything that was familiar to me. I sighed and looked behind me, making sure Dillon was still there, and we made our way to the street. They weren't very specific about what I had to do here, so I searched for the orphanage for a second before I started walking there. Hopefully someone would have missed me…

"Do you really want to go back there?" Dillon asked as the orphanage neared closer and closer with every step, and there was only one more block to go. "Do you know what's going to happen if they take you back?"

"They're going to make me stay there, but-" I cut myself off, yawning. "It would make me more safe then if I was on the street."

"Yeah, but…" He muttered, looking at the ground to avoid my eyes. "If your parents kill Lucille and try to get you back, hell is going to break loose."

"Oh, quit worrying. I can just leave anytime I'm at school." I assured him, and it wasn't legal, but I could. And it also may take some convincing. "I'm a mermaid, the same laws don't apply to me here."

"But they don't know you're a mermaid, and they won't know." He stated, grabbing my arm and stopping us on the corner of the street. "Humans can't know about us, Aqua. They can't."