Chapter Twelve

• Dedicated to Chris Brown...for being creepy (read the note at the end to understand)

I plopped down on the couch beside her. “Hey, Karin.”

“Hey,” she said.

I groaned. “You just as bored as I am?”

She sighed in relief, knowing that I had a plan. “Yeah, probably more.”

I laughed. “I don’t think that’s possible, but I have an idea.” I grinned mischievously.

“Uh oh,” Karin said. “What are you thinking, Adel? You have a weird look in your eyes….”

I laughed again, a bit evilly. “Let’s go up to Ichigo’s room and mess around with his stuff. You in?”

Her eyes widened. “HECK YEAH!!!”

“THEN LET’S GO!!!” We rushed up and out of the living room and to the second floor, grinning evilly together. When we reached his room, I put my finger to my lips.

“We have to be quiet,” I whispered, “’cuz Ichigo and Tara are in the next room.”

Karin nodded at me, showing that she understood. We crept quietly into Ichigo’s bedroom, ready to snoop.

We searched everywhere: the desk, under the bed, the closet, even in his pillowcases! But nothing. Nothing even normal for a fifteen-year-old guy to have: no porn, no car catalogs, nothing! It was so weird!

“What the crap?” I said. “Does he not own anything incriminating? What kind of guy is he?”

“Yeah,” Karin said. “As far as I know, he doesn’t really do much, so I couldn’t think of anything he’d have.”

I sighed. “Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.” I glanced around the room, until something shiny caught my eye.

“OOH! Shiny!” I said, then blushed at my A.D.H.D. phrase. I walked over to the corner of the room and picked up the shiny thing: a cellular phone?

I think?

I opened up the “phone,” only to see a map. Oh, I thought. It must be Rukia’s. I quickly stashed it in my bra (the only place where it wouldn’t be noticed) and turned back to Karin.

She gave me a funny look. “What was it?” she asked curiously.

I smiled (a bit too widely) “Oh, nothing,” I lied swiftly. “I thought I saw something, but it was nothing. Silly me; must be the A.D.D.”

She looked at me skeptically, but let my answer linger in the air. We left his room and went back into the living room, where the volleyball game was just wrapping up.

“Oh YEAH!” Isshin yelled as the final buzzer rung. (A/N: I don’t actually know much of anything about volleyball, so I dunno, do they have buzzers? Oh well, doesn’t really matter.) “What a GREAT game!”

I tried to look interested. “Oh, who won?”

“THE TORAY ARROWS, DUH! They’re the best in the league!” (A/N: That’s a real Japanese volleyball team, I swear. You can google it.)

I blanked. Who the freak is he talking about? I asked. Oh, well, not like it really matters. Just play along and you’ll escape the lion’s den, Adel. I poked Karin in the side, and winked at her. I turned back to Isshin. “NO WAY!!!” I said. “THAT’S FREAKING AWESOME! YEAH! GO ARROWS!!!!” I pumped my fist in the air in a congratulatory gesture.

“YEAH!” Isshin yelled, and hi-fived me. I laughed and sat on the couch, Karin following me hesitantly. She had a look on her face that screamed: What the freak?