Chapter Seventeen

(A/N: WARNING!!! THIS CHAPTER IS A FILLER!!! I NEEDED AN EXTRA DAY, AND THIS IS WHAT CAME OUT!!! ATHEISTS (or anyone who hates reading anything religious) BEWARE!!!)

The next day was Sunday. I wasn’t a religious type; I believed in God and Jesus and all, but I hadn’t been to church or anything since I was about eight. So yeah. Babs was similar. But Tara had always gone to church. She wasn’t super religious or anything, but she liked going to church every Sunday. This was an issue, as we were in Japan, so there weren’t many Christian or Catholic churches.

We got a recommendation from Isshin; there was a church in the next town over, in Osamutezuka City. So we hopped on the bullet train, accompanied by Ichigo (for some unknown reason), and went over to the church.

We got there late enough to where no sermons were being held (much to Tara’s disappointment), but the church was open to the public for individual prayer. We entered, and I was astounded by the beauty of the place.

There were those old, Roman-style stained-glass windows, each depicting a different scene in the Bible: the birth of Eve, the Great Flood, the birth of Jesus, etc. The pews looked to be real oak, and they were exquisitely carved, each curve beautiful and impressive. The altar was at the front, looming over the pews as a leader would his subordinates. There was a loft above the entrance where a large organ stood, proud and glorified. The floors were perfectly polished, yellowing beautifully, the same way as a page. Overall my breath was taken away by the pulchritude of the building.

A few people were scattered across the floor, discussing and such. “Woah…” Tara said, looking around animatedly. “It’s gorgeous!” She grabbed Ichigo’s hand. “C’mon!” she said. “Let’s look around!” I saw a light blush on his face as she pulled him down the center aisle.

“She’s totally consumed,” Babs said, shaking her head.

“Yeah,” I said dreamily. “But you gotta admit, they’re really cute together.” She didn’t answer, but went further into the church and sat down on one of the back aisles.

I decided to do my own “soul-searching,” so I went to the front of the sanctuary, where I found a preacher. He was dressed nicely in a gray suit, his hair styled modestly. He didn’t give off that aura that I got from most of the religious people I’d met: I’m religious so that makes me better than you. I’m closer to God. Oh, you don’t go to church every Sunday? You’re going to hell.

Tattoos are from the Devil. Alcohol is from the Devil.

All that kinda crap. He seemed genuine and kind, like a priest is supposed to be. Not fake, not doing it for money, not for the wrong reasons. He seemed to be serious about his profession.

I went up to the altar where he was standing. He was looking around the church, most likely monitoring the others, but he soon turned to me as I approached him.

“Hello, young lady,” he said in a kind, wise voice. “How are you?”

I smiled. “I’m good.” I stuck my hand out to him. “I’m Adel Lancaster, sir, and I’m here because I’ve been saved four times, but I feel no closer to God.” It was true. I didn’t really likechurches, but I figured why I was here, I might as well get some answers.

He shook my hand. “Welcome, Adel. I’m Pastor It’s great to have a young person trying to find Our Lord. Why don’t you take a seat on this pew here,” he said, indicating the first pew in the congregation, “and we can talk.”

I went to the seat and a second later he was beside me, a Bible in his palm. He handed it to me. “What is this?”

“Uh…a Bible?” I said confusedly. Why was he asking me this? I knew what a freaking Bible was.