II. Old Friends and New

NIALL'S POV:

I had just payed the delivery guy for transporting all my belongings safely to my new house. I stood there at the porch, staring at the stack of boxes in front of me. After contemplating my options for a while, I decided I'll greet my new neighbour first.

I walked over to the house next to mine and rang the bell. I waited for a bit, but when I gained no response, I rang the bell again. When I was about to ring it for the third time, I heard someone call me from behind. A girl, to be precise.

I turned to look at her and I'd be lying if I said she didn't take my breathe away. Jet black hair, rosy cheeks and beautiful brown eyes. She gave me a small smile, before informing me that she was my neighbour.

She offered to help me carry the boxes in, and although I didn't want to trouble her, I obliged. I might just get to know her a little more while we're at it. We both worked on getting the boxes in, making small talks here and there.

She asked me where I came from, and why. And in turn I asked her a few questions in an attempt to know her. When I asked her about whether she lives alone, her expression hardened. For a split second I saw the dejected look on her face, but she quickly hid it with a small smile.

But little did she know that I had caught on it. When she told me that her parents stay out of town most of the time, she couldn't hide her resentment. And although she replaced it with a quick smile, her eyes held immense amount of sadness. And I could bet you my whole life it just wasn't from the fact that her parents aren't home most of the year. It was more than that, a lot more than that.

I knew I shouldn't be pushing the subject any more, so I let it go. The rest of the time she was with me, her expression was more guarded, quiet. I could practically see her walls come up. And to see such a lovely girl carrying such amount of hurt and sadness pained my heart.

She offered to make me tea at her house, trying to change the topic, smiling at me, but I politely declined. She thought she hid her sadness behind her smile pretty well, and maybe she did, but her eyes gave everything out.

She helped me get the last stack of boxes left and then, after making sure that I was fine, she left. I stood there for a bit thinking about her. Haley. That's what she'd said her name was. Haley was a lovely name. It was perfect for her.

I decided to take a quick shower, exhausted to the core, and then went to my new bedroom to set it up. Hanging up pictures, putting my necessities in the bathroom, stacking my clothes in the closet, and putting up the curtains. While I was at it, I saw Haley sitting on her window, staring outside, deep in thought.

From what I could make out, she was listening to music, and when she turned and saw me, she gave me a smile, which I gladly returned. After doing my own stuff for a while when I was about to leave my room, I couldn't help but glance at the window again. Her beautiful self wasn't visible and she had pulled on the curtains.

Assuming she was asleep, I quickly went and ate the take out I had bought on the way here and went back up to sleep, deciding that I'd do the rest of the work tomorrow after I got back from college.

Just then, I heard my phone buzzing. Without looking at the caller ID, I picked it up.

"Hey, mate! All settled in?" I smiled as I heard the voice of one of my closest friends, Louis Tomlinson.

"Hey, Louis! And yes I just finished unpacking. My neighbour helped. She's really nice. Her name's Haley." I informed.

"Oh yeah, I know her. She's a lovely girl. Always helping and smiling. She's a good friend." Louis told me.