XIII. The Family Gala

HALEY'S POV:

The next day, I talked with Alyssa on Skype and told her everything about the gala and how Niall was going to go with me. On getting home, I had found a package on my doorstep which, turns out, was the dress I had to wear to the gala. It was a beautiful black, backless gown with a belt on the waist. There was a note in it, written by my lovely mum about how I'm supposed wear this dress along with the black heels that came with it.

I was practically going to throw it away but I really didn't want to ruin the pretty dress, which I'm sure they've rented for that one day. Alyssa told me everything would be okay and I just don't have to let my grandparents' shit comments get to me.

"Every time they shit talk about you, you've only gone ahead and proved them wrong, and nothing burns more than doing just what they think you're incapable of." She had smiled through the screen.

When we were kids, my grandparents used to live with us. And whenever I used to bring my friends over to play, they would send them back home in half an hour even though my friends were allowed to stay longer. They frustrated me beyond limits and always were partial with me and my cousin brother, Michael.

The only thing that didn't make me hate him was the fact that he actually used to revel against them and help me out with everything. We both share a very tight bond and I'm super happy with that. We always made fun of them when he would come to visit me. I still love hanging out with him. He's pretty cool.

I had called up Niall to tell him to come to my house by 6 on the day of the gala and he informed me that he got himself a tuxedo.

The day passed by pretty uneventfully except that I got a call from my mum. And no, it wasn't to check up on me, it was to check up on the dress, whether I got it or not. I was highly tempted to say that I burned it but I held my tongue, not in the mood to fight.

The day of the gala finally arrived and thankfully, after a lot of running around and trying to get my face and shit together, I was ready to go by the time it was 6pm.

And as punctual as he was, Niall had knocked on my door at exactly 6 and when I opened the door, I had to, with all my might, prevent myself from drooling over him. He wore a black tuxedo, hair done up a quiff and he even wore his glasses to add a great touch, and damn he looked amazing!

"Niall...oh my-"

"Holy shit, Haley! You look...you...you look stunning! Really, I, uh....you look really beautiful." Niall cut me off, his jaw hanging open as a blush crept on my cheeks.

"Thanks, Niall. I was gonna say you look handsome as well! The glasses were a cool touch." I grinned, making a red tinge appear on his cheeks.

"So, shall we?" He asked me, stretching his hand out for me to take.

"We shall." I smiled, taking his hand as we made our way to my car.

My parents wanted to send a car to chauffeur us, but I didn't want that, so I opted to use my car instead. Niall had offered to drive and, after much convincing, I let him. I told him the directions to the place where the gala was being held and then I sat quiet, thinking of all the things that could go horrible wrong tonight. If I won't be able to control my anger towards my family, I'll snap and that won't be a pretty sight for my family, or for myself.

"Hey, Haley?" Niall called from beside me, looking at me for a split second before turning his attention back to the road.

"Yeah?"

"Don't worry about what's gonna happen there. Just be yourself, keep calm and hold your head high. You look stunning enough to kill everyone over there and just don't let your family get to you." He smiled at me.