#22: Are You Sure?

"Yeah, let's go kick some Neverseen butt!" Keefe said. He showed no sign of hesitation or resistance. He seemed to notice Sophie looking at him because he walked over to her and took her out of the room.

"Are you okay?" Keefe asked her.

"Yeah, I'm just worried about you. Are you sure you'll be okay with this?" Sophie asked, tears threatening to fall.

"I'll be okay. I am okay. This is what I need. I need to take revenge on my mother for what she did. She can't just get away with hurting you" Keefe said. His face was serious, but his eyes were soft, as if he was fighting back his own tears.

"Keefe, you don't have to worry about me. Just make sure you're safe" Sophie said.

"But I do have to worry about you. Sophie, we're both fighting this battle against the Neverseen. They've hurt us both purposely. We all need to stick together, but you and me especially. We have known more loss together than anyone. Please, we need to stick together" Keefe said.

"Okay. We do. But I'm still worried. About both of us. I'm afraid of the guilt shattering me. So, yeah, we do need to look out for each other. Just promise me you wont do anything stupid" Sophie said.

"I promise, as long as you wont do anything stupid. And try to keep the almost dying to minimum" Keefe said with a smirk. They both knew that was an impossible promise, but Sophie agreed anyway.

"I will protect you in anyway I can. That's also a promise" Keefe said. He walked closer to Sophie and their faces were inches apart She could feel his breath on her cheeks.

"I'll protect you too" Sophie said.

Without any warning, Keefe put his hands behind her head and kissed her.

"I'll protect you in any way I can" He repeated.