#47: I Do

A/N: In this one shot, Keefe is 22, and Sophie is 21

This is the day. The day where Sophie's life changes forever. Where she will no longer be just Sophie, but she will be Sophie and Keefe, joined together in marriage for as long as they live, which is a long time. Years ago this might have scared Sophie, but since becoming closer with Keefe, dating him for awhile, and him finally proposing, she felt that she was finally ready to spend the rest of her very very very long life with him. Finally ready to put her complete trust in him and love him forever. It wasn't very hard when they were friends, or just dating, so it shouldn't be hard now that they're just making it official to the entire elven world. And part of the human world. Sophie had told Amy about it during one of their regular calls. Her sister was now older, out of high school, and had grown into all of her beautiful, previously awkward looking features. When Sophie had told her about the engagement, she had squealed so loud she made her dog bark, and then proceeded to gush about how old they were getting and how they both may be married soon, once she finds an actual boyfriend.

But what makes Sophie the happiest is that she finally feels like her life is settled. She doesn't have to worry about which guy she likes best, whether the next day is the day she's going to be killed, or if one of her friends is going to be kidnapped, because all of it is over. Every last bit of their horrible past has been gone. For years. And Sophie finally decided that she couldn't wait forever for the right guy to wait for her, so she finally made a decision, and it surprisingly didn't break any hearts, as she had once been worried about doing.

But right now, looking at herself in the mirror, her white frilly dress on, hair pulled into an intricate loopy braid around her head, a silver crown embellished with brown and red flowers and green leaves, and her light makeup all on - well, it's an emotional moment.

This is the first time she's been completely in the whole getup. Hair, dress, and makeup at the same time. And she feels like it looks... oddly right in the most weird way possible. Like she looks almost too pretty. She shouldn't look so amazing, this isn't really her, but at the same time, she knows that she's going to look back on this day a few centuries from now and completely recognise herself with full familiarity. Maybe this is the start of that.

"I never thought I'd see the day...," Vertina sniffles as she clicks onto the mirror, her eyes glassy, and not from the actual glass. She looks Sophie up and down, and offers the smallest of smiles.

"It's Jolie's dress. I hope that's okay with you," Sophie tells her, completely willing to change it if she doesn't have the blessing of Jolie's best friend. It has so many ruffles and frills and petticoats that she can barely feel her legs anymore. Not to mention that the train goes about five feet behind her.

"Of course it's okay. It was meant to be worn by somebody. I can't think of a better person," she says, making Sophie's eyes water. She's been at the waterworks ever since the preparation for the wedding. Even the word wedding feels weird in her mind, on her tongue, in the air. But she's so happy, it doesn't really matter what feels right on her tongue. Because she loves Keefe, more than she loves anyone else, though her parents come at a close second.

And currently, there's about a few thousand people outside her house, making the pressure go so much higher. She peeks out her window, watching as everyone mingles before the big moment. Keefe isn't even out there yet, she'd see his amazing hair from anywhere.

"Thank you, Vertina. That means a lot to me," Sophie chokes out, dabbing under her eye to make sure all of the makeup doesn't come off. Biana would just kill her if she had to touch it up one more time.

"Yeah, well, it's nice to see it on someone. You wouldn't believe how many times she stood in front of me with that dress on. It became an appendage for her." Vertina looks just as choked up as Sophie is, and she decides to just nod and breathe, try to make sense of her own emotions. She's getting married within the next hour.