#36: Promise

"Keefe, can I ask you something?" Sophie said. They were laying on Sophie's bed, her with a book, and him with Iggy.

"You just did" he said, giving her a goofy grin. She dropped her book on her face, saying "you're impossible"

"I'm very well aware of that. But what's your question?" Keefe asked. Sophie moved the book away from her face and looked at Keefe with a longing expression.

"I just need some reassurance. I know that Jolie and Brant's relationship ended badly because of the Neverseen, and I just really don't want that to happen to us. So, my question is, can we have some form of a promise?" Sophie asked. She was sure that Keefe wouldn't understand what she was talking about or asking for, but he smiled at her anyway.

"I think that's a great idea. Come on, follow me" Keefe said. He put Iggy into his cage, and the small imp shook his fist out of protest. Unfortunately, the cage was his home.

Keefe walked down the stairs and out the door, heading towards Calla's tree. Sophie went to this tree everyday, and fed the Starkflower Stew to Calla, then had some herself. It had become part of her routine, and she'd never let anyone forget Calla's sacrifice.

"Okay, we all know this place very well. A dear friend stands here, and I think it's only right if we do this here" Keefe said. Sophie's heart was beating out of her chest now.

"Sophie Elizabeth Foster, ever since I met you that day you were heading to the Healing Center, I couldn't deny what I saw in you. Hell, I even told you over and over again. But even then, you didn't seem to feel anything until that one day we went to the Black Swan on Silveny. So, in honour of this love, I've gotten us something" He said. Out of his pocket, he pulled a box out, and it looked to be the one you'd hold an engagement ring in. This couldn't be a proposal, could it? They hadn't even gotten their matchmaking scrolls yet.

Keefe opened the box, and in it were two silver rings. One with Silveny on it, and the other with Greyfell. Keefe took out the one with Silveny, and put it on Sophie's left ring finger. Then he took the Greyfell ring, and put it on his own left ring finger.

"They're promise rings. I wasn't going to give them to you until next week, but now seemed appropriate. I really love you, Sophie. And I'll never stop. So, even if we aren't ready for marriage, let this be our equal. Our happily ever after, as humans call it" he said. A single happy tear rolled down Sophie's cheek as she smiled giddily. Of course, this was the one day she decided to wear eyeliner.

"Keefe, I don't know what to say" she said between breaths, still smiling and wiping the tear off of her face. She gave Keefe a huge hug, then a passionate kiss that lasted for what seemed like forever.

"Oh, do you want to know the coolest part about the rings?" Keefe asked. Sophie nodded her head. "Well, whenever we're apart, since it's on our left ring fingers, where the vein that leads to the heart is, we can feel each other's heartbeats" he said. His face was red, and he looked nervous and flustered, but it was cute.

"Oh, Keefe, I love it! I love you!" Sophie said. They spent the rest of the day under the tree, making Starkflower Stew and talking to Calla. It was, hands down, one of the best days of Sophie's entire life.