Chapter#14

Today is the day when shaitan will get back to Australia. He was in Dubai because Sultan Gee wanted him there for an important deal of rare kind of diamonds worth billions of dollars and also to introduce a new leader of Asian Mafia to the underworld who can be an ally to Shaitan against Rokossovsky. He got successful and joined hands with Mr.Lee, the new Asian Mafia's leader along with getting the deal of diamonds done. Although it wasn't as easy as it sounds. But all's well that ends well. And now that it's over. His work here was done and he was allowed to go back to Australia.

Shaitan keeps thinking about all these while lying shirtless in his bed, under the duvet pulled up to his waist, in the morning light seeping through his window's curtains. He puts his left arm under his head and puffs on a cigarette.

Shaitan looks around his room, which is carpeted wall to wall and furnished by the best interior designer of Dubai with the best of everything; the beautiful king size bed, decorations, liquor cabinet, paintings and the most comfortable looking couch, and thinks that how beautiful it is...yet so empty...without any soul. Like everything else he owns. Just like him. Having everything in the world but a beautiful soul.

His emptiness makes him realise the presence of someone inside his mind and perhaps also in his heart.

I might not be that empty...

His thoughts wonder over to that person.

What would she be doing by now? 

The other night, he texted someone after a very long time and it felt strange...to write words. Rose arises strange desires in him, normality comes up to his surface by talking to her and he likes it. And texting someone was what normal people do all the time thus making him feel a little normal. But their texting didn't leave him satisfied the other night. She said good night and ended the conversation so soon. He wanted to text back or call to ask what's wrong but then decided against it, thinking she might've been sleeping.

He puffs his cigarette again and keeps looking up at the white ceiling  which has different zigzag patterns on it but not enough to distract him from Rose.

To think about someone.

He hasn't done this for a while. It feels amazing to him but he is afraid of his feelings too. Now he is not a teenager that he wouldn't know what this growing infatuation of his means but acknowledging it would mean something else. Something big. It would mean that there is a chance for him to be good and the desire of becoming good is dangerous in his line of work, it means betrayal.

No matter how ironic this sounds but it's the truth that Goodness is evil to the underworld-his world.

But still he is determined that he won't ruin this slight possibility of him becoming something he usually is not because of Rose. He made a mistake once in his past with someone he cared deeply about, whom he couldn't bring back but the least he could do is not to repeat the same mistake, and give a chance to the impossible.

How he wishes he could change his past, which poisons his thoughts once in a while even when it's not even there anymore.

He closes his eyes and takes a long pull of his cigarette. Suddenly a person comes to his mind whom he knew a long time ago.

Remembering her face. The disappointment in her eyes. Her screams of help, of his betrayal. Her wounds. Her voice in which he once remembered her laugh, now only remembers calling him a coward. Everything is so fresh in his memory even after all these years. He can still see the resemblance between Rose and her.

He thinks his feelings for Rose might be due to the guilt he feels about the past but in spite of making a connection between these two, they still disconnects on so many levels.