Chapter 23

::You're a fucking idiot!:: she said as they dodged machine gun fire, using the trees around them as a feeble barrier.

::How was I supposed to know German engineering included cyborgs?::

::I don't know, but this is NOT what I had in mind as a stroll through the German wilderness!::

Their current pursuers were beasts that were running at over thirty miles per hour with multiple machine guns firing with high precision. If it hadn't been for the nanites, they'd have been brought down long ago. Hokulani had successfully hacked their communications, but had no idea what software they were running to launch a virus attack against them.

Aoloa dodged left as another burst of bullets narrowly missed his head. ::Shit! That was too close!::

One of the cyborgs' voices came through again. ::It was meant to hit you. Surrender!:: That was the other problem. The cyborgs had hacked their communications, too. The result was they couldn't strategize privately. Attempts to evade the spying had all failed, and they'd accepted they were in a taunting match over communications.

::It's a good thing you guys can't steer well. How about you just give up and we'll be out of your country soon enough,:: he replied.

::Foreign military forces are not permitted. We will happily exchange you to your country of origin after proper analysis to assure you haven't gotten unauthorized information.::

Like the fact that they have fucking cyborgs? he thought. ::How about no?:: Aoloa dodged under a tree branch that splinter from bullets, then dodged left behind a tree trunk. When the cyborg rounded the tree, he smashed a fist into her face, spun her around, and used her as a shield from enemy fire. Then he took off again.

His race came to an abrupt halt when a massive cyborg appeared in front of him, spraying fire in multiple directions. Another was in front of Hokulani. A moment of panic ended when bullets sprayed overhead, forcing him to duck and charge towards the flamethrowers.

He dove between its legs, only to get tackled to the ground by yet another, smaller cyborg that had been behind it. Claws on metal screamed, but he was forced to admit he'd been caught. Glancing to the side, he saw that Hokulani had made a different choice. Bullets had chewed up her legs, dropping her to the ground. She was now frozen with multiple guns pointed at her head.

Note to self: going against an entire country's military in that country is a bad idea. I hope this doesn't hurt too much.