Chapter 44

They found themselves hanging close to São Luis, due to the simple fact they had no place else to go. Getting food was easy enough, but Lopaka was being cagey.

UPSOutsider98: We've moved south, enjoying time with grandpa.

Char43_61_74: It's good to spend time with family. Beach weather sucks, though.

UPSOutsider98: We thought about doing some boating.

Char43_61_74: Lots of places you can do that, of course.

UPSOutsider98: True, but Insider always says, "Size matters." Pompous ass.

UPSInsider98: Hey! I can't help what I was given!

Char43_61_74: A big fat one can hurt. Sometimes you're better off with something smaller.

UPSOutsider98: I think he's been licking too many frogs, anyway.

Char43_61_74: That explains a lot. When you get tired of his size, try a Chinaman. They're easier to manage.

[Char43_61_74 has left the room]

::Well that was bloody useless,:: Aoloa said.

::I don't think so. Look at the map of the Amazon.::

He looked, then looked at the side rivers. ::Oh. 'Bout time he got helpful.::

With that, they started a cross-country trek to Senador José Porfírio. It was slow going, with many of the villages having little or no meaningful technology. Unlike Europe, the economy of Brazil was more limited.

---

Aoloa and Hokulani sat side by side, eying the small town nestled next to the massive lake. ::Well, it sort of resembles civilization.::

::Resort hotels are a good sign. They'll have wifi for tourists, at least,::she noted.

::True. Think we can get a good enough signal while staying away from human eyes?::

::Yeah. We'll just wait for late at night.::

With that, they waited for sleep to overtake everyone, then got as close as they dared. It didn't take too long before they were in once again.

SherpaDerpa: I don't trust him.

UPSOutsider98: I know. But everything fits.

KingKong34: Just make sure you guys take care of yourselves. It could be a trap.

UPSInsider98: He saved my ass. I owe him.

SherpaDerpa: And you saved my ass, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be suspicious if you started getting all cagey on me.

UPSInsider98: Point taken. Still, it's our only lead. Unless you have a better idea?

SherpaDerpa: Have you considered hacking back into the UPS?

UPSOutsider98: I'm not that good. We'd get caught. And for the systems we'd need to get into, you guys wouldn't be speculating if you'd made it in. You're more likely to get yourselves killed poking around too closely on that stuff.

KingKong34: Yeah, people who poke around too closely with the UPS tend to disappear. They'd love you.

Hokulani slammed down the connection, grabbed his hand, and ran from the hotel.